Ashington put five past lowly Marske

THE games keep coming thick and fast, but Ashington are in a good seam and on Thursday night extended their recent good run with a 5-1 success over lowly Marske United.

The Colliers have now only tasted one defeat in their last eight matches, and once again regular marksmen Marc Walton, Glen Taylor and Andrew Johnson all got their names onto the score sheet.

But it was not until the second period that they took a stranglehold on proceedings.

Indeed the Wansbeck outfit had Karl Dryden to thank as they went into the dressing rooms at half- time holding a 2-1 lead.

The keeper made a string of excellent saves to deny the hosts, who are fighting for survival in the first division of the Ebac Northern League.

Marske had the ball in the net in the eighth minute through Christopher McGill but it was disallowed for offside.

Ashington’s response was instant and after a driven cross to the far post by Jonny Godsmark had seen Johnson’s shot blocked for a corner, Glen Taylor headed over from the resultant flag kick on the left.

Mark O’Dea had a header cleared off the line by skipper Adam Wheatley before the home side came strongly into the game.

David Onions had a shot hacked away from the danger area then Dryden pushed over from McGill.

The stopper saved with his legs to thwart Onions but reserved his best stop on the half hour when he brilliantly pushed away a full blooded half volley from Bryan Stewart which was arrowing towards the top corner.

It was against the run of play when the Colliers took the lead in the 34th minute.

Godsmark crossed from the right and when keeper Daniel Boswell fumbled a header by Johnson, Paul Antony was on hand to stab the ball home from close range.

Incredibly, Marske were level within 40 seconds as Jordan Hugill connected with a centre from the right by McGill to apply a smart finish on the half volley wide of Dryden.

Marske – deservedly on terms – slipped 2-1 behind only three minutes later after a terrific finish from top scorer Walton, who took his tally for the season to 35.

Following a throw-in on the left, Antony crossed the ball into Walton who turned inside and let fly with a low right footer from the edge of the area which left Boswell helpless.

Before the break, Hugill glanced over and with only two minutes of the second half played, a header from Onions drifted wide after a corner on the right by Stewart.

Ashington, though, scored a timely third in the 56th minute when Boswell again failed to gather a shot from Johnson and Glen Taylor nipped in to score from the rebound with ease.

Three minutes later a 25 yarder from Walton had goal written all over it until Boswell tipped over.

But 60 seconds later, the fourth arrived when Matty Grieve turned the ball home with Johnson claiming the assist.

David Wells cleared a shot from Walton off the line before the Colliers went nap in the 86th minute.

O’Dea slotted the ball through for Johnson who applied a neat finish guiding his shot between Boswell and the post.

Ashington: Dryden, J Taylor, Dobby, Antony (Dugdale 78 mins), Atkin, Grieve, Godsmark (L Scott 80 mins), O’Dea, Walton (Bainbridge 75 mins), G Taylor, Johnson.