Ashington's latest signing delighted to be on board

Ashington FC newcomer Jonathan Tiffoney said he was '˜buzzing' after signing for Steve Harmison's side last week.

Monday, 28th November 2016, 11:58 am
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 11:42 am
Ashington manager Steve Harmison. Picture by Ian Appleby -

The Glasgow-born player joined the Wansbeck outfit from fellow Ebac Northern League first division side West Auckland.

And supporters at Woodhorn Lane warmed to the 25-year-old, a thermal insulation engineer, as he was constantly involved in the action at both ends of the field during his debut against Consett on Saturday.

Ashington-based Tiffoney said: “I’m buzzing about joining the club. I was supposed to be linking up in the summer but I remained loyal to the then manager at West Auckland, Andy Campbell, as I didn’t want to let him down.

“When Andy left and a new manager came in, it gave me the opportunity to sign for Ashington, and when boss Steve Harmison said there was an opening, I jumped at the chance.”

Tiffoney was with Scottish side Brechin City last year.

“Living and working in Ashington, I did a lot of commuting for training and matches, and it was tiresome,” he said.

“But I’m thrilled to be here and the club at Ashington is run so professionally.”

Tiffoney was involved in both goals as the Colliers fought back from being 1-0 down to level against Consett.

He was penalised for a handling offence in the penalty area from which Luke Sullivan netted, but was delighted to slot home the equaliser 15 minutes from time.

“For the penalty, I felt it was a foul on me,” he added. “I went up to win the header and the boy [Jordan Nellis] shoved me. My hand hit the ball and I fell.

“But I was ecstatic to get the opportunity to level things up after the Consett keeper took a back step and I tapped it in.

“After giving away the penalty, I thought I had to make it up to the boys.”

Tiffoney has set himself an immediate target.

“I need to get my fitness levels up and do better,” he said. “I broke my toe at West Auckland and this was the first time I had played in seven weeks.”

Boss Harmison said: “I spoke to Jonathan in the summer but he had agreed to sign again for West Auckland.

“He had 45-50 minutes for West Auckland against us in mid-August and looked good then before going off injured, and it was a case of playing a waiting game.

“Jonathan played over 50 games for Ayr at left back and because of that, we tried to get him quickly for this game because of the injury to Luke Salmon, who could be sidelined for three to four weeks with a bad hamstring injury.

“Jonathan looks the part after the first game he has played for us and has fitted in brilliantly in the last 48 hours.”

Harmison was happy with a point but thought his side deserved to win the contest.

He said: “Did my lads do enough to get a point? Definitely. Did they deserve to win the game? I actually think they did because our fitness levels were fantastic nearer the end.

“We pushed and pushed to get back into the game and that was great.

“Against Jarrow, we lost because we conceded goals from errors, but today we didn’t concede through a mistake, nor did the Consett goal come from a piece of brilliance either. It came from the rub of the green not going our way.

“It was a pretty even contest with not a lot happening and they got a goal out of nothing.

“After the equaliser, we were in the ascendancy and the only worry was that we would get caught on the break.

“We got ourselves out of a losing situation and arguably into a winning position but ended up with a point. That is something we have got to be happy with considering where we were at half-time.”