Bedlington on fire with more goals

FIVE second half goals saw Bedlington Terriers ease past Billingham Town at Welfare Park to move into the next round of the FA Cup.

The Terriers made it three winsand 25 goals in a week, having beaten both Stokesley and local rivals Ashington in the past seven days, and they achieved their 6-0 win in comfort against a disappointing Billingham outfit.

Dean Douglas put Bedlington ahead in the first half before the Bedlington strikers found their scoring boots by adding another five in the last half an hour.

The victory came at a cost with left back James Novak picking up a knock early on – this after losing Chris Phillipson to injury seven days earlier.

However, both Steven Harrison and Steven Richardson, who came off the bench to score two goals, both returned from their injuries.

Bedlington played at a tempo in attack that was too much for Billingham, with Douglas, Tommy English, Steven Steward and both Anthony Shandran and Ian Graham acting as the potent spearhead.

Terriers management will now hope Bedlington continue their excellent run of form with a run of home games.

Opening the scoring on 26 minutes, Bedlington winger Douglas set the pace of the game.

Billingham gave a hint of defensive frailties to come when they failed to clear a Harrison cross, and when Douglas picked up the ball on the edge of the box, he took it wide and lobbed the keeper.

Billingham’s only attacking weapon Jamie Owens, who made his presence known to the Bedlington defence, but was unable to get a shot on goal.

Whereas Bedlington’s attacking options were awash with movement in Shandran, Graham and Douglas.

Shandran has been in superb form, finding the net nine times in the past two games, and he was in no mood to stop in front of an increasingly vocal Bedlington support.

His first came following a Douglas cross into the box, finding Shandran’s feet before he poked it home past the struggling Billingham keeper.

Graham put the game beyond doubt shortly after with an almost identical goal – getting on the end of a Douglas cross.

Making his first appearance in three games, Richardson wasted no time in getting on the score-sheet – 60 seconds after replacing Graham.

His first came from an English through ball, allowing him to round the keeper.

His second, only two minutes later, was the goal of the game. Picking up the ball 20 years from goal, turning and then unleashing an unstoppable shot into the roof of the goal.

Not content with only five goals, Bedlington concluded the game with the pace in which they had set about the contest.

Richardson played the ball into space for Shandran to run on to before he picked up the ball, took it round the helpless James Briggs and completed the scoring, and in doing so taking his tally to 11 in three games.