Bedlington Terriers battle to earn deserved point at North Shields

Marc Walton scores Bedlington Terriers' deserved equaliser at North Shields. Picture by Chris Chambers (CJC Photo)
Marc Walton scores Bedlington Terriers' deserved equaliser at North Shields. Picture by Chris Chambers (CJC Photo)

Marc Walton ensured that Bedlington Terriers left the Daren Persson Stadium with a well-deserved point as they drew 1-1 with North Shields.

Gareth Bainbridge struck the post near the half-hour mark, and Marc Dummett was also denied by the woodwork when Chris Bannon parried his corner onto the crossbar.

Bainbridge then struck with just 16 minutes left, but the lead only lasted a matter of minutes as Walton flicked Dummett’s corner past the keeper.

Terriers made five changes to the side that lost 4-0 to Bishop Auckland in a disappointing display in midweek.

The hosts pressed first and a ball over the top found Bainbridge, who peeled off his marker but the chance was gone when he failed to get anything on he ball.

However, Andy Ferrell’s men gradullay settled and Walton came close with ambitious efforts in quick succession.

The current FA Vase holders enjoyed more possession, but they failed to make it count as Terriers almost broke the deadlock on 20 minutes.

Michael Baxter picked up the ball after the visitors broke out from the back, and after a brilliant run he cut back inside but his shot deflected wide. Jack Errington headed the resulting corner just over the bar before Shields found themselves hard done by when going close twice.

Before Bainbridge could pull the trigger, Dummett put his body on the line and cleared the danger, and the forward was denied again three minutes later by the post as Gary Ormston drilled in a low cross and Bainbridge’s effort cannoned off the woodwork before Dan Staples recovered the ball safely.

The rest of the first half belonged to the visitors. Walton’s second free kick of the half was just off-target.

Wright had two defenders marking him on the edge of the area, but a brilliant turn resulted in the forward being denied after Bannon produced a fine save.

The resulting corner from Dummett almost caught the keeper in no-man’s-land, but he managed to recover and tip the ball onto the crossbar.

Shields started the second half the brighter and Graham Fenton’s men almost found the opener after just two minutes.

Bainbridge managed to get to a through ball ahead of the on-coming Staples, but his shot was headed off the line by Keelan Nellis.

Walton was denied by a superb one-handed save on 51 minutes before Staples safely collected Dean Holmes’ shot after some good work on the edge of the area.

After an even game, it was Shields who broke the deadlock on 74 minutes with a goal that came out of nowhere.

Michael McKeown pumped a long ball into the box from a free kick and the ball evaded everyone in the box bar Bainbridge, who headed home at the back post.

However, the Terriers were not down and out and still had fight left in them. And the game was all square just six minutes later.

Dummett’s corner was swung in with pace and Walton helped the ball on its way into the net.

Neither side managed to create anything going forward in the closing stages and Terriers picked up a crucial point as they seek to retain their division one status.

Bedlington will travel to the UTS Stadium on Tuesday night to play Dunston UTS before the re-arranged Wansbeck derby on Saturday against Ashington at Welfare Park.

Bedlington Terriers: Staples, Capewell, Dummett, Anjos (Johnson 62), Stoneman, Errington, Nellis, Allen (T Stephenson 67), Walton, Wright, Baxter (Hudson 74). Subs not used: Drane, M Stephenson.

Attendance: 352.