Bedlington Terriers hit rock bottom after two red cards in home defeat

Bedlington Terriers' captain John Pendlebury shows dangerman John Campbell away from goal. Picture by Yvonne Wood
Bedlington Terriers' captain John Pendlebury shows dangerman John Campbell away from goal. Picture by Yvonne Wood

Captain John Pendlebury and Keelan Nellis both saw red in the final ten minutes as Bedlington Terriers’ misery continued with a 3-1 defeat to Newton Aycliffe at Welfare Park.

Nellis’ own goal gave the visitors the lead before a John Campbell strike doubled their advantage just before half-time.

Marc Walton pulled a goal back in injury-time of the first half, but Matty Moffat sealed the victory 12 minutes from time, tapping-in Campbell’s pass across the box.

Bedlington’s fight back last week against Penrith lifted morale going into the game and they picked up where they left off with early pressure on their opponents.

Adam Harvey, who scored the equaliser the previous weekend, cut back inside after a promising run, but James Winter got down well and saved the swerving shot.

Bedlington restricted their opponents to their first attempt after 15 minutes, which was a wayward shot by Stuart Banks after Ashley Coffey picked him out with a pin-point ball over the top.

The game itself was evenly poised and it showed with neither side really managing to conjure up a decisive break.

Nellis’ long-range strike was well seen by the keeper before Aycliffe took the lead on 27 minutes.

Dennis Knight’s whipped cross was parried by Peter Denton, but defender Nellis could only watch it bounce off him and into the net.

Bedlington could have been punished further straight after the restart as they were almost caught when Knight’s drilled shot was well saved by Denton’s legs.

The home side found their feet once again in the game and Walton was inches away from drawing level, but his flick-on was headed off the line by Alex Kitchen.

Just before the game entered additional time at the end of the first half the visitors doubled their lead.

A short corner was taken and Campbell unleashed a bullet which sailed into the back of the net after he was allowed to take a touch and get a shot away.

But Andy Ferrell’s men responded and the player-manager led the break from the restart and after slotting the ball into Walton, the striker fond the bottom corner.

After a brilliant display throughout the first half, Bedlington found themselves second best for quite some time, with the Newts piling on the pressure at one end.

Campbell and Coffey both squandered chances in the first ten minutes of the second half, with the former seeing his 25-yard free kick just sail over the crossbar after the hour mark.

Aycliffe should have scored on 74 minutes when Moffat’s shot deflected off a defender and away to the back post where Coffey followed up unmarked, but Denton was like lightning off his line, saving the midfielder’s effort.

The pressure eventually took its toll four minutes later. Marc Dummett was dispossessed just outside of his own area as he looked to set the Terriers on the front foot. Campbell drove at goal, but instead of striking, he found his strike-partner in space and Moffat had a clear tap-in at the back post to inevitably kill the game off.

Proceedings went from bad to worse for the home side as Nellis found himself going for an early shower after receiving a red card prior to the restart.

Ferrell’s men could have made it 3-2 five minutes from time when Jonathyn Quinn darted inside challenges, but his shot was scuffed and trickled to Winter in goal.

The Terriers were down to nine men in the second minute of additional time, another off-the-ball incident which left captain Pendlebury irate with the decision made.

Bedlington now find themselves rock bottom of the division with a trip to Marske United and a trip to Jarrow Roofing next week, three points in one of the games is a must.

Terriers: Denton, Nellis, Dummett, Anjos (McFadden 56), Stoneman, Pendlebury, Harvey, Ferrell (Drane 79), Walton, Quinn, Stephenson (Benjamin 67). Subs not used: Capewell, Nairn.