Bedlington Terriers hit rock bottom after West Auckland Town defeat

Dan Staples' mistake proved to be decisive as Bedlington Terriers lost to West Auckland Town and in the process dropped to the foot of the Ebac Northern League first division table.

Monday, 8th February 2016, 2:36 pm
Updated Monday, 8th February 2016, 2:39 pm

Chris Emms’ free kick bounced just in front of Staples and went straight through the keeper and into the net to break the deadlock after just five minutes.

An uninspiring performance from both sides saw few chances.

Terriers went into the game knowing a win would lift them out of the bottom three.

Marc Walton turned inside the box but David Knight was on hand to produce a good low save to stop the hosts from going ahead.

But Paul King then challenged on the edge of the area and gave away a needless free kick, from which West took full advantage.

Emms stepped up and his effort skidded off the surface just in front of Staples but the ball found a way through the keeper for the opening goal.

Hudson went close on 12 minutes, the forward cut inside and left his man but his shot was straight at the keeper.

Ian Maddison headed down Emms’ corner and Staples produced a spectacular diving save to keep out the defender’s header, which looked to be heading into the top corner.

Emms was denied himself after another free kick was given away needlessly on the edge of the area, Staples emulated the save from earlier in the half, tipping over the bar.

Michael Baxter had the final chance of a scrappy opening half where neither team could get the ball down and play due to the conditions.

A long ball over the top was headed down by Hudson to Baxter, who could only fire wide with bodies lunging in in front of him.

An uninspiring second half followed, although it started brightly with Bedlington on top for the opening ten minutes, coming close from three consecutive corners.

West looked content to rest on their one-goal advantage, and the only clear-cut opening was on 62 minutes when Hudson went close to levelling.

Marc Dummett’s free kick was flicked on by Walton and Hudson, who needed a deft touch to find the back of the net, connected too well and sent his shot wide.

Chances were few and far between all the way up until the final whistle, although Terriers had one late chance. After the ball deflected off several players, Walton could only prod it at the keeper.

Andy Ferrell’s men now have three games in the space of ten days, the first of which is on Wednesday night against Brandon in the League Cup, followed by home games against Ashington and Consett.

Bedlington Terriers: Staples, Nellis (Stoneman 65), Dummett, King, Errington, Capewell, T Stephenson (Drane 65), Allen (M Stephenson 76), Walton, Baxter, Hudson. Subs not used: Anjos, Ferrell.

Attendance: 59.