Bedlington Terriers put four past Morpeth Town

Share this article

Bedlington Terriers secured a 4-1 win with a great all-round performance against Morpeth Town at Welfare Park in midweek.

Coming into the game Morpeth lay second in the table and were expected to provide a stern test, but they simply had no answer to Bedlington’s all round endeavour.

The Terriers took the lead after 15 minutes after a free kick was met from the right by the head of striker Lee Scott, and although his initial effort was blocked by a defender he made no mistake from the rebound striking the ball into the goal from just outside the six-yard box.

The lead was doubled just after 25 minutes as a route one ball found Jordan Nellis in behind the defence, after getting the ball under control he showed great composure as he steadied himself before firing it under goalkeeper Karl Dryden into the bottom left hand corner.

Just before half-time Bedlington could have been three goals to the good but Dylan Williamson’s snap-shot from the edge of the area just flew past the left hand post.

In the second half Terriers showed no signs of resting on their lead as they pushed forward looking for more goals.

The tide, however, was stemmed by the efforts of Dryden who pulled off two great saves, keeping out efforts from Williamson and Nellis from the edge of the box.

With 15 minutes remaining Morpeth gave themselves a chance to get back into the game.

From a Bedlington corner they broke upfield but before their forward could get a shot away he was clumsily fouled in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. But the penalty kick posed no problems for goalkeeper Sean McCafferty as Mark Chilton’s effort was skied over the crossbar.

Minutes later Morpeth were made to pay as an attempted clearance from Dryden was miss-hit to Jordan Nellis who clinically smashed the ball into the top left hand corner of the goal for his second of the game.

Morpeth did manage a consolation with ten minutes remaining as a corner kick was headed in by Chilton, but Bedlington provided the perfect response as straight from the restart they got a fourth with a great Sam Walton strike from just outside the area.

The scoreline could have been increased as Williamson and substitute Stephen Young both squandered great chances late on, but by this stage Bedlington were comfortable as the game was effectively over.

Manager Ian Skinner said: “This was a fantastic team performance in which we created many chances through good inventive play at pace going forward, whilst defending well against their aerial threat.

“If it had not been for the Morpeth goalkeeper then the winning margin could have been far greater.

“All credit to the players as I continue to challenge them to improve and they keep rising to the challenge. Long may that continue.”