Bell back with a bang

STRIKER Phill Bell hit a career best five goals in one game as Ashington thrashed Bishop Auckland on Tuesday night at Woodhorn Lane.

And afterwards, a beaming Bell, gave his reaction, having been back at the Colliers for less than a week.

He said: “I would have liked to have scored in my comeback game on Saturday against Norton & Stockton Ancients in the FA Vase but this was a dream come true – you cannot ask much more than to notch five goals in your second game back at the club.

“I probably could have added another couple to be honest but the performance from the team was fantastic tonight and it’s great when the lads set up opportunities for you on a plate.”

He continued: “I’m delighted to return to the club – you could say I’ve come back with a bang – and I’m enjoying every minute of it although I’ve only been here a week.

“Obviously coming off the back of the recent FA Cup run, the place is buzzing and I’m really happy to be here - but the five goals tonight just tops it off.”

Bell – who tortured the Durham side all night - opened the scoring in the third minute side footing home a cross from Jonny Godsmark then six minutes later, he lobbed the ball over advancing Bishops ‘keeper Peter Jeffries for the second after a piece of exquisite skill from Mark O’Dea.

Damen Mullen headed narrowly over before goal number three – which saw Bell complete his hat-trick – arrived on 19 minutes, O’Dea’s shot was blocked by Jeffries and Bell bundled home the rebound.

Johnson came close when his thumping header from a Mullen corner thudded against the bar and the Colliers also missed chances to add to there total.

Four minutes from the break following a move by Bishop Auckland down the right, the ball was played to Adam Strong who made no mistake, firing a cross drive wide of home stopper Karl Dryden and into the corner of the net.

Within two minutes, Ashington restored there three goals cushion. Liam Atkin’s diagonal free-kick from left to right, found Bell at the far post and he steered the ball home just inside the upright.

Six minutes into the second period, Paul Buzzeo crossed the ball on the run from the right where Bell’s looping header crept in at the near post to make it a nap hand for both Bell and the Colliers.

On the hour Bell’s header was kept out by Jeffries but Craig Scott lashed home to make it six then midway through the half, Mullen fired home after another header from Bell had been blocked.

Ashington: Dryden, Buzzeo, Scott, Taylor, Atkin, Rees, Johnson, O’Dea (Dugdale 70 minutes), P Bell, Godsmark (Bainbridge 75 minutes), Mullen (Morris 66 minutes). Sub not used: Hogg.

Bishop Auckland: Jeffries, Brumwell, Dixon, Walklate, McLane, Brown, Strong (Turnbull 53 minutes), Richardson, C Bell, Johnson, Atkinson. Subs not used: West, Everitt.