Beresford strikes late as Blyth Town close gap on Alliance leaders Amble

BLYTH Town closed the gap on Northern Alliance premier division leaders Amble United on Saturday.

United are now looking nervously over their shoulders as their game fell victim to the weather as Town saw off visitors Carlisle City.

Blyth took just 60 seconds to go in front against City, with Craig Hopwood’s drive deflecting into the top corner.

But it was not all plain sailing as they were pegged back as the Cumbrians levelled through a Robbie Mather header.

The Sky Blues went ahead as Tom Lucock fired in from the penalty spot but the game was levelled up again when Ian Lee crashed in from distance.

The issue was not settled until the 82nd minute when Joe Race’s shot pin-balled in the Carlisle box and Daniel Beresford reacted quickest to stab it home past a melee of bodies.

A Michael Hogg double and Joe Moscrop strike gave Ashington Colliers a good win over Killingworth Sporting.

But a Adrian Sutcliffe strike for Stocksfield proved the winner as Seaton Delaval lost narrowly at home.

Hebburn Reyrolle gave themselves hope of getting out of the relegation dogfight as John Murray hit a late seven minute hat-trick against Percy Main.

Curtis Richardson’s opener for Reyrolle was cancelled out by Micky Haley, but Murray stole the show with a smart lob, penalty and shot in off the post.

Paul Hollier and James Walker were Walker Central’s hit men in a win over Morpeth Town A that put them into the Pin Point Recruitment Bill Gardner Memorial Trophy Final.

And Wallsend Town were made to sweat at Grainger Park as they went into the semi-finals after fighting back from two down.

Tony Leach and Robert Jefferson crashed home and the division two outfit were just the width of the woodwork from a third before Steve Matthews (2), Craig Burke and Lee Garwood netted at the other end.

Daniel Robinson slammed in a hat-trick for Heddon as they went fourth in division one with a good win over struggling Bedlington Terriers Reserves.

Steven Sattherswaite got the other with Robbie Eastway notching a consolation.

Newcastle Chemfica led at Red House Farm through Craig Robinson, but the hosts powered back with strikes from Dale Pearson, Marty Soulsby, Paul Newton-Eddy, Patrick Collins and Jack Martin.

Hexham hit six without reply at Newcastle Uni. Stu Brown (2), Liam Heenan, Neil Tiffin, Tom Hacking and Kurtis Harvey were on the scoresheet for the Tynedalers.

Goals from Jason Cape and Noel Clynch gave Willington Quay Saints victory at Cullercoats, who netted through the ever-dependable Daniel Sneap.

North Shields Athletic remain in pole position in division two as a Scott Jasper double and Johnny Wyres strike gave them the points at Seaton Burn, who grabbed a consolation with a late Dave Hewitt penalty.

New Fordley led 2-0 at Birtley Saint Josephs through a Lee Waugh penalty and stunning lob by the same player.

But Saint Joe’s staged a storming comeback with Damien Stevens slamming home in the 70th minute to give them hope, then Tony Smith levelled from the penalty spot two just minutes later.

Birtley were reduced to ten men as Dan Irving saw red, but a brilliant Stevens individual effort put them in front in the 80th minute.

There was still time for New Fordley to be awarded a penalty, but Saint Joe’s keeper Jamie Sexton was the hero as he pulled off a great stop.

Goals from James Scott, Mark Forrest and James Jeffrey ensured that Wooler won the north Northumbrian derby against Alnwick Town reserves, who netted through Neil McFall, and David Short crashed home a hat-trick in Longbenton’s emphatic win at Cramlington United.

Tim Bolton, Mark Moon, Robert Woods and Anthony Brown (2) piled on the agony with Niall Younger and Ryan Waite on target for the hosts.

Matthew Lavender, Che Aisbett and Andrew Haigh netted for Blyth Isabella as they edged out High Howdon, who had Nicky Whitelaw grab a double.

Michael Starkie scored for Wallsend Boys Club as they shared a point with Wideopen.