Blyth beat Kendal in FA Trophy


Blyth went straight on the offensive and could have taken the lead as early as the third minute when centre back Danny Parker headed wide from an Aaran Wearmouth cross.

However Kendal were taking every opportunity to go forward and they almost went ahead in the twelfth minute when Jordon Connerton found space on the edge of the Blyth penalty area but his hard struck effort hit the post.

The rebound fell nicely to Sam Bailey but his shot was well blocked by Parker.

Within minutes Connerton and Bailey were in the thick of the action again when Bailey stormed down the right wing and his cross found Connerton in space.

He connected well but his shot was deflected wide for a corner.

The game was fairly evenly balanced as the hosts came close twice when Wearmouth just failed to get on to the end of a neat through ball from Michael Richardson and then Wearmouth himself shot with power from 20 yards only to see the ball deflected wide.

However Blyth did go ahead on 31 minutes after Dan Maguire was fouled just outside the Kendal penalty area.

Captain Robbie Dale stepped up and drove the ball hard and low. With the aid of a slight deflection the ball beat the Kendal keeper Josh Richardson at his near post.

The Spartans extended their lead five minutes later when Maguire turned his defended and sprayed the ball wide to Wearmouth whose chipped cross was met by the head of Matty Wade and his powerful effort gave Richardson no chance.

Following the break Maguire had an excellent chance to score after Michael Richardson robbed Rob Wilson in the centre of the park and sent Maguire goalwards.

Unfortunately his low shot was well saved by the Kendal goalkeeper.

Blyth were on the front foot and a precise move involving Damen Mullen and Wearmouth resulted in a Dale shot being closed down by Chris Smiles.

Dale then sent a beautiful ball thorough to Alex Nicholson with the outside of his right foot.

Nicholson crossed with quickly and with pace but Maguire just couldn’t get a good enough connection with his head to hit the target.

However on 61 minutes the Spartans did score. Wearmouth skilfully beat Mike Aspen wide on the left.

He dragged his cross back to the on rushing Richardson who coolly side footed the ball past the keeper and into the net.

Kendal showed a lot of spirit by continuing to try and break down the Blyth defence and as the game

neared its conclusion Craig Carney shot narrowly wide from 25 yards.

But Blyth weren’t finished as Maguire played in Dale who was centrally placed 14 yards from goal.

He calmly manoeuvred an opening for himself and sent a measured shot high into the goal to put the Spartans four up.

There was still time for two close efforts. First Carney narrowly failed to curl his long range effort into the top corner and then, with the last kick of the match, a Wearmouth snap shot was well saved by Richardson.

Blyth: 1. Fabian Otte, 2. Alex Nicholson. 3. Jordan Watson, 4. Dillon Morse, 5. Danny Parker (Ryan Hutchinson 65), 6.Damen Mullen (Stephen Turnbull 60), 7.Aaran Wearmouth, 8. Michael Richardson, 9. Daniel Maguire, 10. Matthew Wade (Paul Robinson 78), 11. Robert Dale (capt). Blyth star man: Robert Dale.

Kendal Town: 1. Josh Richardson, 2. Mike Aspen, 3. Josh Wardle, 4. Alex Randell (Ben Thomas 79), 5. Chris Smiley, 6. Dan Forbes, 7. Sam Bailey, 8. Rob Wilson (Dan Wilkins 50), 9. Jordon Connerton, 10.

Craig Carney, 11. Terry Cummings (Tom Kilfin 72).

Kendal star man: Chris Smiley.

Referee: Jan Suchechi, Assistants: James Westgate and Kevin McKitterick.

Attendance: 442.