Blyth Town lose first game of season in semi-final penalty shoot-out

Whitley Bay A pulled off a surprise in the Northumberland FA Les Todd Senior Benevolent Bowl semi-finals as they condemned Blyth Town to their first defeat of the season, 4-3 on penalties after neither side could break the deadlock after 120 minutes.

Wallington were also penalty kick winners, at Walker Central, after John Paxton’s first half shot was cancelled out by Mark McDonnell.

Craig Boyle’s sliding close range second half goal gave North Shields Athletic a win at Shankhouse that moved them up into second spot in the Northern Alliance premier division.

An 87th minute David Brown strike that crashed in off the woodwork saw Ashington Colliers also secure a narrow win on the road at Northbank.

But there were goals galore at Red House Farm who had Shane Brooks (2), Steven Brown, Lee Brady and Michael Armstrong on the scoresheet against Rutherford, who had led thanks to Riccardo Tanoh’s opener in sixty seconds. Andrew Farrey and Bailey Hunter, with a penalty, added the others.

Six-shooting first division leaders Percy Main kept their title charge on track with goals from Joe Betts (2), Dan Sneap (2), Chris Laidlaw and Rob Watson as they mauled Cramlington Town.

Promotion rivals AFC Newbiggin lost ground as they went down at lowly Hexham. Kurtis Harvey and Scott Coates netted for the Tynedalers, with Jonathon McEnaney the scorer for the disappointed Seasiders.

But they were handed a boost with the news that Cullercoats had been hit for six by Wallsend Boys Club, with Daniel Hindmarsh (2), Michael Starkie, Nicky Whitlelaw, Liam Robinson and Jordan Robinson all beating the keeper.

Gosforth Bohemians were also six hitters in their game against Blyth Isabella, which was reversed to Benson Park. Tavis Couling and Daniel Ure both bagged braces with Andrew Dalton and Isaac Mitchell adding the others while Dan Hislop, Dan Carr and Darren Walker replied in the end-to-end encounter.

Newcastle University hit four in the first half to take the points at Birtley Saint Josephs. Matt Morley, Charlie Pilkington, Jake Salisbury and Tom Heston did the damage and although James Bowman struck twice in reply, with Lee Cuthbertson also on the scoresheet, the Students edged it.

Division two leaders Gateshead Leam Rangers were being held at basement side Wideopen at half-time but produced four finishes after the break to win it. Anthony Brewis, Liam Barnett, James Fenwick and David Lucas netted to spare their blushes.

And Longbenton were trailing at Cramlington United thanks to Niall Youngers strike, but turned things around with a Connor Graham three-minute double just before the hour.

Luke Fleetwood’s stoppage time winner continued Forest Hall’s winning run as they also came from behind to beat Swalwell. Paul Hargreaves shot the hosts in front in the 75th minute but Scott Richards levelled with five minutes to go – and Fleetwood won it.

An unlucky own goal from Willington Quay Saints settled their fixture at Whitburn Athletic.

Chris Chan slammed in a hat-trick as High Howdon beat West Allotment Celtic A . Dean Blacklock got the other with Matt Slater and Ali Scott replying.

It also ended 4-2 at Seaton Burn, with Aldair Batista marking his debut with a goal in two minutes. Chris Carr added a brace and Nicky Hara the other, with Ben Miley and Stephen Thompson on target for visitors Lindisfarne Custom Planet.