Blyth Town overcome Ashington Colliers in Alliance derby

Share this article

DAN Quine’s 75th minute free kick for Walker Central has blown the Northern Alliance premier division title race wide open.

The midfielder fired over the wall and into the back of leaders Amble United’s net to win it.

The Seasiders had led through Brent Aisbitt’s first half strike, but Quine equalised with an unstoppable drive three minutes after the break.

And Amble’s defeat has strengthened Blyth Town’s challenge, although they had to come from behind to beat local rivals Ashington Colliers.

Blyth were rocked in the first minute at Ashington as David Brown was on target, but they recovered to move within two points of Amble – with three games in hand.

David Atkinson levelled from the penalty spot, Malcolm Morien netted the second and a Shaun Gibson own goal rounded things off.

Carlisle City’s title hopes took a dent at ten-man Shankhouse.

The Sky Blues led through Stuart Kilgour’s effort but Paul Dunn equalised just before the break and Dean Deagle grabbed the winner just after the interval.

Harraby hit five in a blistering first half display against Wallsend Town – Dean Armstrong (2), David Fisher, Dan Balmer and Matthew Thompson all cashing in.

Town improved after the break and Chris Garwood struck twice in reply.

Liam Callaghan (2), Connal Reed and Nathan Castle swept home in Killingworth Sporting’s comfortable win over Rutherford.

Goals from Declan Stokie and a Phil Murray penalty gave Stocksfield the points against Hebburn Reyrolle, who pulled one back late in the game through Danny Igo.

Whitley Bay A’s Lewis Burns netted against Seaton Delaval but it ended all-square as Mason Stephenson slotted in at the other end.

Ben Telford’s deflected drive gave Heaton Stannington an early lead at Blyth Isabella in the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup semi-final, but the hosts made a real game of it and were by no means disgraced as Jonathon Wright thundered in a late second on the half volley to book the black and whites a place against Wallington in the final, which takes place at Woodhorn Lane, Ashington, on Thursday, April 25, kick-off 7pm.

In division one, Martin Soulsby’s third minute penalty put Red House Farm in front at Cramlington Town and Kev Long had his head in his hands seven minutes later as he put into his own net. Michael Steinmetz added a third in the 85th minute and Gary McRoberts hit a consolation for the leaders a couple of minutes later.

Kane Chirnside’s hat-trick for Willington Quay Saints handed Wallington a surprise defeat. Goals from Sam Walton and David Featherstone were not enough for the Greens.

Northbank also slipped up as Boh’s Matt Atkin hit the only goal at Sheepmount.

Heddon moved up into second spot with Daniel Robinson, Robert Frame and Andrew Davidson crashing in against Cullercoats, whose consolation came courtesy of Craig Deighton’s boot.

Goals from Zac Atkinson and a John Dewhirst penalty put Redheugh in charge at Hexham, and although Orin Parkinson pulled one back from the penalty spot, they held on for the win.

Shaun Cowel and Dylan Williamson were on target for Bedlington Terriers Reserves as they got back on track with a victory over Newcastle Chemfica.

Darren Percy netted for Morpeth Town A as they picked up a precious point against Forest Hall, whose target man was Matty Smith.

Wooler took just two minutes to grab the opener in the top of the table clash at North Shields Athletic in division two, but Anthony Keith levelled from the penalty spot just five minutes later. Sean Milligan put Athletic ahead before the break and they did not look back as further strikes from Scott Jasper and Matty Donkin stretched their lead at the top to five points.

Wideopen’s promotion push kept momentum with goals from Andrew Shaw, Leigh Shickle, Ross Dickinson and Chris Sword against ten-man Seaton Burn, who had Jonathon Sutcliffe and Stephen Baker on the scoresheet.

Lee Waugh and Andy Waugh scored for New Fordley at Alston, who netted through Adam Walton.

Dwayne Murray hit a hat-trick in Grainger Park’s success over High Howdon, with Chrissy Robinson getting the other. Scott Dodds and Tony Johnston replied.

Michael Starkie was also a hat-trick hero in Wallsend Boys Club’s draw at Longbenton. Jed Findlay got the other with the Bulls stretching the net from Anthony Brown (2), David Short and Tony Woods in an all-action end-to-end encounter.

Defences were on top though at Newcastle Benfield Reserves as their game against Cramlington United ended goalless.