Bomarsund cause cup upset with win over Amble

THERE was only one game played in division one of the Morpeth Sunday League at the weekend due to the first round of league cup games.

In the league, Stobswood FC beat Red Row Brick Club 5-0 thanks to a hat-trick from Stefan Tweddle and solitary strikes from David Curtis and Gary McDonald.

Adam Shanks and Mark Maben both saw red for Brick Club, which won’t help their aspirations for the current season.

In the league cup, second division team Bomarsund caused a major upset as they recorded a 5-0 victory at home to current first division champions Amble Tavern.

On target for Bomarsund was Tony Messenger with a hat-trick with the other two goals coming from Kris Grey and Ross Muter.

Bedlington Barrington Arms overcame Stakeford Half Moon 4-2. The game was initially a tight affair and was deadlocked at half time 1-1 with Shaun Cowell’s scrambled effort for the Barrington being cancelled out by a quality Chris Dobey header at the near post.

Going into the second half, though, it was Barrington who made the most of their chances as veteran goal machine David Scott scored a wonderful header from a pin-point Daniel Dargue cross and Dylan Williamson coolly finished when one-on-one with the goalkeeper after a defence splitting pass from Shaun Cowell to put them 3-1 ahead.

Dobey brought Half Moon back into the game at 3-2 after Barrington failed to deal with a right wing cross, and they endured some sticky moments in the second half and even missed a penalty before eventually triumphing after Williamson clinically grabbed his second goal after another one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Another division one team to go tumbling out of the competition was Village Inn Longframlington, who were beaten 6-1 at home by Shakespeare Tavern.

Braces from David Kilpatrick and David Chiverot and goals from Richie Hall and Dale Wilkinson secured the win with the Village Inn consolation coming from Craig Speight.

Meanwhile Alnmouth Argyle edged out Amble Blue Bell 5-4. On the scoresheet for Alnmouth was Jordan Frost with four with the other goal coming from Reece Wright, while Blue Bell’s goals were scored by Gary Taylor, Liam Jefferson, Scott Arries and John Spears.

In division two, Riverside Lodge remain hot on the promotion trail as they defeated Blackthorn Rovers 3-1 with efforts from Chris Martin, Darren Percy and an own goal from Dan Davison. Blackthorn’s goalscorer was Mark Collins.

Northumberland HMP won at home against East Chevington 3-1 thanks to a Dan Brown brace and a goal from John Hughes with the East Chevington consolation coming from Darren Smith.

And North End Trap went goal crazy as they won 10-1 against River Coquet.

Notching for North End were Peter Godfrey and Marc Nixon with hat-tricks with the remaining goals being scored by Josh Baston, Jack Small, Ian Turnbull and Stuart Oman. Coquet’s consolation came courtesy of Aaron Thompson.