Bubbles beaten in cup final by late goal

ASHINGTON Bubbles lost the final of the Standard Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League Saints Shield to a late North Shields Royal Arms goal.

Ashington’s Kris Allington was denied by the offside flag in the first half, and it was Royal Arms who took the lead early in the second.

Nicky Thompson held off a challenge from a defender to slip the ball past the keeper.

Allington was then denied by the crossbar before David Mole scored the equaliser.

But with extra time looming, Royal Arms snatched a winner as Les Thompson’s shot deceived the defender on the line to find the net.

Man of the match went to Bubbles’ Paul Archer, chosen by league chairman Mr G Allen, and trophies were present to mascots, match officials and players by Mr F Scantlebury, NFA councillor and league secretary.

The match sponsored by Trevor Scott, from CR Scott Ltd.

Burradon and New Fordley reached the final of the S A Randolph Cup with a 5-0 win at Blyth Comrades. On target for Burradon and New Fordley was Jordan Watson (2), Michael Hall, Ian Lee and Graeme Cairns.

Another side reaching a final was Ashington Portland in the J D Marnock Cup. They won 3-2 at AE Phoenix. Goals for Phoenix came from Daniel Carr and Michael Freathy, but strikes from Robert Groves (2) and Paul Crate won it.

Wansbeck Flavour Bar also reached a final when they edged Blyth Last Orders in the Alan Davison Cup courtesy of a goal from substitute Jack Bird.

In division one, the Ashington derby between Grand and Hoose ended 2-2. On target for Grand were Michael Todd and Ross Crate with Martin Humble and Michael Hogg scoring for Hoose.

South Beach also picked up maximum points with a 6-2 home win against Bedlington Community, with Joe Betts scoring four. Also on target were Chris Glass and Mark Richardson with Ryan McKee and Jonathon Taylor netting for Community.

Division two title favourites Red Lion come back from a two-goal reverse to take the spoils with three late goals at home against the Bay Horse. Giving Bay Horse the advantage was Scott Smith and Chris Taylor, but Connor Hoyle, Scott Purcell and Paul McFarlane goals took the points.

In a local derby, Blyth Percy Arms just eased past Top House by the odd goal in three. Grabbing a double for the Percy was Lee Brosnan. Carl Jackson scored for Top House.

Once again FC Beacon, minus their normal keeper, went down 8-1 at home against Ashington White House. Michael Lab scored for Beacon, but goals for White House came from David Jobson (3), Graham Robinson (2), Nigel Swan, Nicky Davison and Ben Davison.

Lynemouth Institute won by the odd goal in three at home against Cramlington Phoenix. Simon Swinney and Thomas Brotherton scored for Institute and Graham Owens was on target for Phoenix.

The derby between the two Newsham teams saw visitors Side Club beat Willow Tree 4-1. Paul Stephens was on target for Tree, but a double from Jason Hamilton and further goals from Jason Quinn and Paddy Allen won it for the visitors.

Any team wishing to join the league can contact league secretary Frank Scantlebury by e-mail at frankscantlebury@yahoo.co.uk for further information.