Burradon and Shields win first cups of the season

BURRADON and New Fordley retained their first trophy of the season when they defeated Blyth Comrades 3-0 in the Alan Davison Cup final at Bedlington Terriers’ ground.

Things could have been a lot different as the Comrades should have been 2-0 up inside the first ten minutes but failed to take their chances.

It spurred Burradon on and Graeme Cairns was on hand to slide home Craig Johnson’s cross.

In the second half the Comrades came out and put Burradon under pressure.

But a quick ball upfield to Burradon’s Ian Lee saw him unleash a 25-yard strike which somehow evaded the keeper.

And with ten minutes to go Lee scored his second with a powerful header.

The Eric Anderson Cup final, also held at Welfare Park, saw North Shields Royal Arms beat New Hartley 3-0 in a close game.

Hartley’s keeper Elliott kept his side in the game until he was finally beaten after 65 minutes when Alan Batiste crossed for Les Thompson to score.

Thompson then fired home a penalty before Batiste scored with time running out.

In the only premier division game, Milbourne Arms gained three valuable points as they beat Newbiggin 2-1.

It took a late strike from substitute Andrew Farrier to clinch the points. Martin Douglas had put the home side ahead while Thomas Stephens scored for Newbiggin.

In division one Ashington Grand were heading for defeat with seven minutes left at home against Blyth Seahorse.

Martyn Hepple had scored for Seahorse, however, Grand came fighting back and scored three goals through Mark and Paul Hedley and David Jones.

Cowpen Percy Arms continued their push for promotion with a 5-0 win away to Blyth Masons Arms. Steven Rylatt (2), Paul Joicse (2) and Paul Hickson scoring.

Monkseaton Arms had two players scoring hat-tricks in their 7-0 home win against Ashington White House.

In division two, Blyth Ridley Park won 3-2 at home against Bedlington Community.

Ross McLeod scored two before Community levelled the scores through Antonie Harrison and Jamie Graham before McLeod scored the winner with almost the last kick.

Cramlington Phoenix also pulled off a shock by beating the Bay Horse 2-1.

Mark Race and Karl Cox scored for Phoenix while Darren Robinson was on target for Bay Horse.

Ashington Bubbles had a comfortable 5-0 win against Marden Residents with goals from Kris Allington (2), Steven Gardener (2) and Graham Dawson.

In another Ashington derby, Central and Grand Street shared the points in a 3-3 draw.

David Sturgeon (2) and Jason Wilson scored for Central. Stephen Frater (2) and Darryl Townsley scored for Street.

West Allotment won 5-0 at home against Newsham Willow Tree with goals from Sam Todd (2), Michael Hartley, John Leach and Scott Purcell.