Colliers go down again

Ashington lost their second game in four days when they went down 3-0 against Penrith at Frenchfield Park last night.

In the final analysis, the Colliers can have few qualms about the result but they did have chances – which went begging – to get back into the game.

The Blues began strongly and after only 80 seconds, Ryan Hall directed a header which was pushed over by keeper Karl Dryden.

However the home side took the lead in the eighth minute with a goal which was disputed. Striker Martyn Coleman wriggled through two players and when his cross was only half cleared, the ball fell to Matthew Read whose thunderous left footed volley flashed wide of Dryden.

Immediate reaction was that the ball had crashed into the net but then Ashington voiced concerns that it had hit the outside of the net then bounced back off the advertising hoardings and through the net.

The players alerted referee Kevin Mulraine who inspected the netting then called for repairs to be carried out which led to a lengthy stoppage.

When the dust settled, the goal stood - and to add to Ashington’s woes, they then lost Liam Atkin with a leg injury.

Lee Scott came on to replace the skipper with James Taylor switching from midfield to defence.

Dryden saved from Steven Rigg before Sam Norris had the Colliers’ first chance shooting wide with a snap shot. Scott was denied by the legs of home keeper Jonny Jamieson then Glen Taylor glanced on for Norris who had a great opening but rolled his effort wide as Jamieson advanced.

However after being in the ascendency, Ashington were hit by a sucker punch 10 minutes before the interval as Penrith added a crucial second.

Matty Grieve won a challenge and after moving out of defence found Scott. The midfielder tried to turn his marker but lost out and when the ball was played to Coleman, the striker advanced then drilled a low left footer from the edge of the area wide of Dryden.

In the 55th minute, Dryden pushed over from home skipper Grant Davidson then Grieve headed across from an Andrew Johnson free-kick for Lee Scott who netted only for the effort to be disallowed for offside.

Twenty minutes from time, a third from Penrith finished off the game. A deep cross from the left by sub Richard Faustino was pushed out by Dryden but the ball fell straight into the path of Read who headed home.

The pace and drive from Johnson in the centre of midfield was a plus for Ashington on the night and from another burst forward, he released Marc Walton down the right but he fired wide.

In the closing stages, Dryden blocked out substitute Philip Storey before Davidson wasted a marvellous opening to make it four when he lifted his shot over the bar.

Ashington continued to look for a consolation before the final whistle but the closest they came was three minutes from time when Kyle Oliver fired over following a free-kick.

Ashington: Dryden, McGlen, Oliver, J Taylor, Atkin (L Scott 17 minutes), Grieve, Norris (Willis 76 minutes), Johnson, Walton, G Taylor, Carson. Sub not used: Barnard.