Delaval warm up for Bowl final with win

SEATON Delaval Amateurs prepared the Northumberland Senior Benevolent Bowl final against Percy Main Amateurs next Wednesday night with a comfortable victory against their main rivals for third place in the Northern Alliance premier division, Harraby Catholic Club.

Goals from Craig Cook, Michael Hall and Stephen Howes earned Delaval the three points. The home side got off to a flying start when after just four minutes they took the lead when a ball over the top of the defence saw Howes outpace Mark Thompson before squaring the ball across the edge of the box for strike partner Cook to side-foot home confidently from 18 yards.

Soon after, Delaval saw an appeal for a penalty denied after the lively Howes appeared to be upended by Thompson following great work from Steven Anderson.

Harraby finally started to seem interested, after they only arrived shortly before the kick-off, and had an appeal of their own for a penalty when the ball hit Michael Robinson on the arm, but referee Andy Gray waved away their protests. A speculative free kick by Robinson was tipped over by English in the Harraby goal as the home side continued to create the clearer opportunities ,though Wordsworth should have done better at the other end when he directed a free header over the bar from a free kick.

The returning Anderson should have doubled Delaval’s lead on 25 minutes when he saw an effort blocked by English after the striker had found himself clear on goal following a great pass from Paul Hodge. The remainder of the first half was highly competitive and Thompson picked up the first booking of the game as struggled to come to terms with Amateurs’ forwards. Delaval started the second half in the same fashion as they had the first when the impressive Hall smashed home at the far post following a corner to double the lead.

Wordsworth then replied by heading straight at the under-utilised Stephen Mundy, who saved easily as Harraby tried to salvage their slim title hopes.

The visitors were appealing for a penalty again when Fitzpatrick appeared to foul Wordsworth in the box from the next corner, but Delaval responded by scoring the third goal of the game soon after and, in all honesty, it was a freakish effort that extended the lead. A long ball over the Harraby defence from Robinson found Howes running into the box, and he attempted pass to the unmarked Anderson from six yards but managed to miskick the ball in at the near post for a fortunate goal but was well merited on the balance of play. Delaval’s top scorer almost doubled his tally when he fired a shot cleanly across the face of goal from a tight angle as the home side comfortably saw out the game to complete a double against last season’s league champions as they continue to battle for third place in the league. This result will also put Delaval in high spirits ahead of their next game, which is the Northumberland Senior Benevolent Bowl Final against Percy Main Amateurs at the Blue Flames Ground Whitley Park Benton Wednesday, May 18, kick-off 7pm.