Dunston boss admits his side beaten by the better team

Marc Walton watches Glen Taylor double Ashington's lead with a well placed shot from 18 yards. Picture by Ian Appleby -
Marc Walton watches Glen Taylor double Ashington's lead with a well placed shot from 18 yards. Picture by Ian Appleby -

Dunston UTS manager Billy Irwin slammed his outfit and pulled no punches nor offered any excuses after seeing them soundly beaten 4-0 against Ashington on Saturday.

Irwin said afterwards: “We gave away two sloppy goals in the first half and overall we weren’t at the races.

“Ashington deserved to beat us 4-0 – and it could have been more.

“Some people have pointed out that we have got a long injury list and have players missing, but we have got a squad and the squad is there to play.

“We had a depleted team out today but there are no excuses.

“We were beaten by the better team and some displays by my players were embarrassing.

“I am desperate to finish the season in the top six of the Ebac Northern League’s first division – but I don’t think on that performance some of the players are.

“However, we move on.”

The boss was clearly disappointed as his side conceded two goals in the opening period.

“First half we were against the wind and going up a little bit of a bank and we were coping pretty reasonable,” he said.

“We got caught out with a long throw for the first goal then instead of kicking the ball into the stand we give a bouncing back pass to the keeper who miskicks it to Glen Taylor who slots it the second.”

The latter goal, which came in first half stoppage time, was a big blow for the visitors.

Irwin added: “We had the wind second half but we didn’t take advantage of it, and we just lacked heart at the end of the day.

“Looking back on things, the two goals in the first half effectively killed us off because after the second we had a mountain to climb.

“If we had come in at half-time one-nil down then I reckon we would have had a decent chance to get back into the game because Ashington would have been on edge and we would have been on the front foot. But it didn’t happen.”

He continued: “We were not good enough today – we were a million miles away.

“Both Ashington and ourselves played games on Tuesday and Thursday, but this afternoon you would have thought they had not played for two weeks as threequarters of my side didn’t turn up.”

UTS were forced into a late change when striker Stephen Goddard pulled out during the pre-match warm-up with Daniel Wilson taking his place in the starting line-up.

“I think we might have eight players out through injury at the minute, six of whom would be pushing for the team, but that is no excuse,” said Irwin.

“Everyone has got to prove their worth when they come into the side but they didn’t today and our defending was atrocious.”