Entertaining but scoreless between Ashington and Guisborough

Share this article

Ashington and Guisborough served up an entertaining game at Woodhorn Lane on Tuesday night where both sides played some good football without breaking the deadlock.

The Colliers, eager to return to winning ways after Saturday’s 2-1 reverse against West Auckland, edged the first period, but the Priorymen arguably had better chances after the break.

Gary Middleton’s side began well and in the sixth minute Marc Walton chested the ball down for skipper Glen Taylor whose shot was deflected for a corner by Andrew May.

Guisborough responded with a move which stemmed from defence through to Thomas Marron who fired wide.

The home side were forced into an early change with Tony Stephenson replaced the injured Dean Critchlow.

The 13th minute ought to have proved lucky for the Colliers as James Novak did well to deliver a deep cross to the far post but there was no Ashington player on hand to apply the finishing touch.

Midway through the half, Richie Slaughter found Kyle Oliver who crossed for Stephenson and when he headed the ball back, Walton lashed over from 12 yards.

Then Glen Taylor dragged a left footer across keeper Nicholas Liversedge but wide.

The visitors retaliated again with Daniel McWilliams finding Danny Earl whose low first time effort was blocked by keeper Conor Grant, then Ben Christensen made a good solid block to thwart James Risbrough.

Slaughter was only inches off target with a rasping drive from 20 yards and Glen Taylor spurned a good chance before a low cross by Slaughter saw Walton’s shot deflect onto the bar and behind for a corner.

Seconds from half-time, a 25-yard effort from Adam Gell was parried then collected by Grant.

The action continued after the break as Earl chipped just over then when play switched to the other end, a low drive from Glen Taylor was kept out by Liversedge.

Walton must have thought he had unlocked the door when he met a cross from Slaughter to glance a header which was goal bound until Liversedge dived to his right to save.

On the hour, Anthony Hume touched a cross from Risbrough wide then Marron headed over a great chance following a Nathan Mulligan corner.

Grant foiled substitute Matthew McQueeney and Mulligan before Phil Lumsden made a great block inside the area from Mulligan.

Kyle Downey fired narrowly over – but the final whistle went with neither side able to produce a winner.

Ashington: Grant, Oliver (Davison 80), Novak, Slaughter, Christensen, Lumsden, Critchlow (Stephenson 11), Ferrell (Elliott 86), Walton, G Taylor, Downey. Sub not used: Barnard.

Attendance: 138.

Ashington’s run of home games continues on Saturday (October 4) when they host Dunston, kick-off 3pm.