Extra time defeat for Cramlington in cup final

THE finals of the David Crichton Memorial Cup in the Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League took place at Bedlington Terriers’ ground.

Cramlington Juniors were up against Newcastle East End Juniors in the junior final and lost out in extra time after being two goals ahead.

A Taylor Atherton double had given Cramlington the interval advantage, but two goals from Kieron Gibson took the tie to extra time, where Connor Walker won it for East End.

In the senior final, Burradon and New Fordley extracted revenge on Billy Mill, who beat them in last year’s final.

After Ian Lee gave Burradon an early lead and John Amos levelled for Billy Mill, it was Burradon who took control.

Centre half Mathew Tumelty put them 2-1 ahead before a Michael Chilton double came either side of an Alexander goal to give Burradon a 5-1 win.

Competition president George Crichton presented the trophies and medals to all four finalists on the day.

The Crichton family were then presented with medals by the league to mark the 40th anniversary of the senior final.

In the NFA Sunday Minor Cup first round, Bubbles won through in their Ashington derby against the Grand by the odd goal in three. Jamie Graham and Steven Clark scored for Bubbles with Wayne Tait on target for Grand.

In round two of the George Davison Cup, Lynemouth Institute had a 6-0 home win against FC Beacon with goals from Mark Richardson (3), Shaun Dodds, Gary Brotherton and Dan Pickering.

New Delaval and Newsham also progressed to the next round with a 3-0 home win against Blyth Seahorse courtesy of strikes from Craig Frazer, Kevin Turner and Stephen Forrester.

Division one saw Bedlington Community go down at home 6-2 against Blyth South Beach. Goals for Beach came from Joe Betts (2), Chris Glass (2), Jason Titchie and Michael Haley.

High Street continued their recent run of form with a 4-0 home win against Blyth Last Orders as Chris Laidlaw led the scoring with a hat-trick with Anthony Goldie also on target.

Newbiggin won at home 2-0 against Wansbeck Flavour Bar with Thomas Stephens and Rob Holden on target.

Division two saw Ashington Portland go down by the only goal of the game at home to Forest Hall CC.

The Eagle had a good win at Ashington White House 3-2. Goals for White House came from Kyle Rennison and Keith Sage, with John Moran, Andrew Howe and Alan Fairbarin on target for Eagle.

Marden Residents and AE Phoenix put on a goal feast as Marden won 6-4. Scoring for Phoenix was Ryan Johnstone (2), Barry Tait and Alex Richardson.

Newbiggin Coble gained a 4-1 win at home against Newsham Willow Tree courtesy of goals from Chris Stanton (3) and Mark Burgess. David Lillico scored for Willow Tree.