Firsts all round as Blyth Spartans beat Halesowen

Ryan Hutchinson’s first goal for Blyth Spartans gave Tom Wade’s side their first away win of the season and handed Halesowen Town their first defeat in 15 games.

Dan Maguire had given Spartans the lead on the stroke of half-time but a goal six minutes from time by Curtis Tilt pegged them back.

However, just two minutes later Hutchinson curled a wonderful effort just inside the far corner and sealed the points.

Wade handed a debut to Jordan Watson after the former Sunderland youngster signed for the club on Friday.

He took his place alongside Nathan Buddle at the heart of the back four in place of the injured Danny Parker.

The first chance fell to the home side inside two minutes as Daniel Bragoli volleyed just wide of Jeffries’ right hand post from the edge of the area.

The Yeltz were dominating early proceedings but their only other chance fell to Haseley, who broke clear but fired well over from the edge of the area.

Spartans finally got a foothold in the game and got stronger as the half went on, and with the interval approaching Maguire had a hat-trick of chances.

First he struck a low drive at the near post after being played into the right hand side of the area but it was saved well by the feet of Sargeant, then 30 seconds later he found space on the left side of the area but this time his left foot drive was tipped wide of the far post by the Yeltz stopper.

But it was to be third time lucky for the Spartans number nine as he controlled Robbie Dale’s cross before rolling home from inside the six-yard box.

The home defence were left appealing for an offside decision that was never to come and Spartans went into half-time in the lead.

The first chance of the second half fell to the hosts as again Haseley was played in on goal but once more the striker lacked composure and his wild effort went well wide of the angle of the near post.

Again Spartans were taking their time to settle, but when they did chances came.

Maguire forced Sargeant to tip over after the striker was played into the left hand side of the area by Dale.

Minutes later the lead should have been doubled as a wicked, curling free kick from the left by Dale found Aaron Wearmouth at the far post but the former Bishop Auckland winger failed to make contact with the goal at his mercy.

A feature of the second half was the long throw-ins of Yeltz midfielder Tonks. However, Spartans dealt with them well and even when there was danger the bravery of Jeffries denied Elliott Turner at point blank range.

As the game moved into the last ten minutes Ian Watson missed a golden chance to kill the game off. Some trickery from Maguire saw him dance past Hull before rolling the ball back to the left back but he screwed wide of the left hand post from 12 yards.

That miss was punished with six minutes left on the clock as a long punt into the Spartans area was headed back across goal from Yeltz substitute Thompson-Brown that was met by another header by Curtis Tilt who made no mistake from inside the six-yard box.

But the hosts were only on level terms for two minutes as Hutchinson collected the ball from Maguire on the edge of the box before curling an accurate shot just inside the right hand post for his first goal for the club.

Rather than being put under pressure by the hosts, Spartans looked as if they could extend their lead, and they would have but for the alert defending of Hull.

The big centre back cleared a low drive by Dale off the line after the winger had collected a quick corner from Maguire.

However that did not matter as the whistle went soon after and Spartans could get on the long journey home with three points in the bag and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Blyth Spartans: Jeffries, Nicholson, J Watson, Buddle, I Watson, Hooks, Hutchinson, Hawkins, Dale, Maguire, Wearmouth. Subs not used: Bell, Robinson, Cummings, Sayer, Rivers.

Attendance: 448.