Fox Cover in cup final but Mortimer miss out

HOLDERS Burradon and New Fordley reached the final when of the George Davison Cup with a 2-0 win over Ashington Mortimer.

Burradon’s finishing was the difference between the sides as Steve Howes and Michael Chilton scored the goals.

In the other semi-final, second division Ashington Fox Cover pulled off a shock win at home against North Shields Gunner from division one.

Cover got off to a great start and were 2-0 in front before Gunner fought back to level.

But with 15 minutes left the Cover got their noses back in front and held on.

Goals for Cover came from Dean Mason, Jamie Graham and Stephen Dick, with James D Ridley scoring both for Gunner.

The final is on Sunday, May 8, at Bedlington Terriers’ Welfare Park, at 2.30pm.

In the premier division, Tynemouth Gunner had a welcome win at home against Newbiggin FC. They beat their visitors by the odd goal in five. On target for Newbiggin with both goals was Darren Burn.

Division One, saw Blyth Seahorse almost put the final nail in Ashington Grand Street’s relegation fate. Depending on other results it seems the 3-0 reverse will put Grand Street into the second division. Scoring for the Seahorse was Paul Cotterill, Craig Smith and David Archbold.

High Street had a good win at home against New Delaval and Newsham, beating their visitors 4-2.

Leading the scoring for High Street was Steven Brown with two, Jason Smart and Anthony Marshall added the other goals. Scoring for the Newsham side was Jason Quinn and Wesley Mann.

Monkseaton Arms’ late season form continued with a resounding win, beating Earsdon Red Lion 5-0 at home.

On target for Monkseaton were Simon Wilthew and Liam Hudson with two each while Allan Clark added their final goal.

Monkseaton Hunting Lodge remain top with another win at home against Blyth Masons Arms.

This game was switched to the Masons’ ground due to a fixture pile-up, but this had no effect on Lodge as they won 3-1. Scoring for the Lodge was Stephen Dynes with two and Andrew McCartney. Rob Herron scored the consolation goal for Masons.

Final game in division one saw the Rockcliffe Arms beat the Milbournes Arms by the odd goal in three.

Only one game was played in division two. Ashington White House beat Bedlington Community 3-1.

Carl Stobbart scored for the Community side. Once again, keeper Michael Robinson pulled off some fine saves. The future looks promising for this keeper. Goals for White House came from Steven Rennison, Lee Julian and John Appleby.