Goals galore in Northern Alliance

WHETHER it was Kevin Keegan who brought a brand of attacking football to the north east or it was the desire of the local public to see flair and goals is a matter that is up for debate.

However, the chant ‘attack, attack, attack’ has rung around Gallowgate for decades – and the local leagues certainly do not disappoint when it comes to goalscoring feats.

The viewing public were treated to 47 goals from Northern Alliance premier division sides alone on Saturday.

Heaton Stannington slammed in seven at Rutherford with both Jonathon Wright and Lee Johnson notching hat-tricks. Gary Yates got the other and the basement side struck twice themselves, through Chris Morris and Graham Trouten.

Blyth Town grabbed six against a fancied Harraby United, with Daman Mullen another hat-trick hero. Daniel Beresford got a couple himself and Johnny Mann completed the tally. The Cumbrians had the ball in the net three times, with Aaron Roberts (2) and Mark Thompson celebrating.

Ashington Colliers striker David Brown proved a handful for Percy Main and grabbed a brace with Joe Moscrop and Richie Brown also on target to seal the win as the Villagers netted through Kevin Westphal and Michael Durrant.

The keepers were worked hard at both Killingworth and Shankhouse where the games both ended 3-2.

Sporting’s scorers in the win against Whitley Bay A were Paul Baird, Connol Reed and Liam Callaghan, with Andy Robertson and Lewis Burns replying for Bay.

Dean Deagle, Ant Moran and Danny McRoberts all punched the air for Shankhouse as they cancelled out Tom Finnerty’s opener for Stocksfield. Chris Hall added a second from the spot for the Griffins.

Carlisle City striker Sean Bannon took just 60 seconds to convert a penalty against Wallsend Town. Lee Crowe added number two in the 90th minute and goals from Steve Hurd Jnr, and another late one from Paul Hollier, gave Walker Central the win against Hebburn Reyrolle.

Amble United cruised into the second round of the Kicks Leisure Challenge Cup as goals from Sean Taylor (2), Matty Graham, Rikki Hume and Darren Riddell put them five-up at Seaton Delaval after just 30 minutes.

Selsos Anjos pulled one back but the game was overshadowed when Anjos was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg. The league wishes him a speedy recovery.

Red House Farm were 3-0 down against Forest Hall after 49 minutes but stormed back with a five-goal blast.

The visitors looked on easy street as Dan Sherliker (2) and a Andrew Mitchell effort put them in a commanding position, but Farm had the last word as Martin Soulsby (2), Shane Brooks, Lee Brady and Shaun Forster all smashed replies.

Cramlington Town extended their winning run to six games as Marc Nicholson, Steven Elsey and Jordan Watson netted against Gateshead Redheugh. Kev Hay and Graham King were the Redheugh hit-men.

Heddon’s Max Turner grabbed a late winner at Hexham after Scott Coates had cancelled out Robbie Frame’s opener and Northbank’s Cameron Wilson was in top form with a brace in a 5-0 win over Newcastle Chemfica. John Slaven, David Campbell and John Calvert got the others.

Bedlington Terriers Reserves made it four wins from four under new management with second half goals from Robbie Eastway, Stuart Melville and David Scott at Newcastle Uni.

Jack Walton and John Paxton spared his blushes as they beat Bohemians. Daniel Ure scored for Bohemians at Wallington but the Greens had Jake Walton and John Paxton on target to take the points while Cullercoats’ Sean Smith, Chris Anderson, Rob Watson and Ian Lee all crashed in against a struggling Ponteland United whose replies came from Billy Holden and Alex Patterson.

Morpeth Town A shut up shop and held out for a creditable goal-less draw at Willington Quay Saints to grab their first point of the season.

Scott Jasper struck twice in North Shields Athletic’s 4-0 romp over Blyth Isabella. Karl Morrison and Craig Boyle were also on the scoresheet as Athletic took advantage of Wooler slipping up against Seaton Burn to go top.

Wooler had Mark Forrest and Michael Saunders on target but James Hewitt picked his spot twice to earn the visitors a good point.

New Fordley’s Lee Waugh’s made no mistake from the penalty spot to give them the win at Wideopen and Longbenton were also single goal winners against Newcastle Benfield Reserves, Connor Cavanagh’s shot crashing home to win it.

In another tight fixture, it took a Stephen Hutchins strike to win it for Alnwick Town Reserves at Grainger Park while Scott Dodds and Craig Black were High Howdon’s targetmen in a victory at Cramlington United.

Ollie Cartwright gave Alston the lead against Birtley St. Joseph’s who hit back with a Dan Irving brace and a third from Nicki Lawson.