Goalscorer was the difference between the sides – boss

ASHINGTON CFC manager Gary Middleton lavished praise on midfielder Jonny Godsmark when he described the former Newcastle United player’s winning goal as the highlight of an uninspiring contest at Kingsley Park on Friday night.

Middleton said: “We got three points with a bit of brilliance from Godsmark, whose goal was the highlight of the 90 minutes.

“Jonny was the difference in us winning the game and not.

“In the first half we threatened to take control but didn’t do that.

“We let them play the better football with our keeper Karl Dryden probably having the most attempts at goal to deal with.”

Middleton was frustrated in his side’s application.

He added: “I was disappointed in the first half. We were playing a team who are rock bottom of the league and whom we hit eight against earlier in the season yet we didn’t give the application that was needed to put them to bed and finish the game early doors.”

But the boss is happy with the points his side have accumulated from their last four games, despite being concerned with performances.

“Second half we made a few changes but the outcome was pretty similar to the first period whereby Ryton and ourselves didn’t threaten,” he ssaid.

“I can talk about being disappointed with the overall performance but we have now collected six points out of six and nine out of 12 without playing well.

“Football is a funny game and whilst part of me is happy that we have got them points on the board, I know that we can do much better.”

Paul Dunn was on the bench for the Ryton game following a lengthy lay off through injury.

Middleton said: “We wanted to bring Paul on but things did not turn out the way we wished.

“At 1-0 the game was on edge without them (Ryton) really hurting us and we had to put his comeback on hold.

“Nevertheless he played another 90 minutes for Ashington Colliers on Saturday and is not far away whilst James Harmison came through another 90 minutes without any reaction, which is another positive.”

Ashington CFC Under-19s lost 2-1 at home to North Shields after a closely contested game on Sunday.

Simon Scobie put the Colliers ahead with a header after a cross by Anthony Reay but the Shieldsmen drew level from a penalty before scoring the winner in the last five minutes.

An Ashington spokesperson said: “We hit the woodwork twice and had another two efforts cleared off the line whilst North Shields also rattled the woodwork, but a draw would have been a fair result.”