Heaton take hounors in east end derby

Share this article

MICHAEL Waggett came off the Heaton Stannington bench and hit a double as the black and whites stormed from behind to beat ten-man Walker Central in the east end derby.

In a typically heated and tough local affair, the leaders were stunned in the 67th minute as Scott McDonald shot the visitors ahead.

Central had a man sent for an early bath just a few minutes later and Waggett raced onto a through ball to tuck the leveller past the advancing keeper.

Waggett then set up Jonathon Wright to rifle in the second and added the third himself as his pace again took him clear to steer the ball home.

Carlisle City remain in contention just a point behind Heaton as they put Ponteland United deeper into relegation trouble with a 2-0 win, second half goals from Andy Rogerson and Tom Lucock doing the damage.

Shankhouse hit five past bottom side Murton with Alex Mathieson netting twice. He was joined on the scoresheet by Dean Porter, Andrew Carr and Matthew Richardson while Martin Peace and Matthew Billiard scored for the visitors, who also missed a penalty.

Rutherford full back Lee McGuiness lashed in his first goal for the club to open against Ashington Colliers and Shaun Todhunter added number two with a spot-kick.

Wyn Fremlin pulled one back mid-way through the second half and the Colliers salvaged a point with just two minutes to go as David Brown thumped a powerful header into the roof of the net.

Blyth Town looked to be heading for three points at Percy Main as they led through Paul Joicse’s early goal with just eight minutes left.

But Ryan Laws levelled direct from a corner and with just a minute to go, Tony Abladey made it 2-1. New signing Liam Robertson, from Jarrow Roofing, marked his debut with the third in stoppage time.

Goals from Craig Armstrong and Ray Oshin saw Hebburn Reyrolle ahead in the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup quarter final at Seaton Delaval.

Michael Fenwick struck twice to level things up and Danny McGuire completed a thrilling comeback with the winner late on.

Whitley Bay A had Mark Davison and Ian Lee on target as they joined the Red Devils in the semi-final by seeing off Killingworth Sporting 2-1.

Adam Shanks was on fire and smashed in four as Amble United romped to an 8-0 win at Cullercoats and starched their lead at the top of the table to seven points.

Sean Taylor got a double and Brad Wake and Ross Gair the others.

Goals from Mattie Smith and Dan Sheriker put Forest Hall two-up at Cramlington Town and although Kevin Long netted for the home side, they held out for the points.

Red House farm extended their lead at the top of Division Two to eleven points as Harton & Westoe slipped up at home to Hexham.

Mark Sheerman and Paul Newton-Eddy netted for the leaders at Swalwell, who had Anthony Telfer on target.

Hexham are up to fourth after Alistair Stobbs hit the only goal of the game at Harton & Westoe, while Northbank were 4-0 up at the break at Wideopen.

John Slaven struck twice and Nicky Routledge and Cameron Wilson got the others. Wideopen improved after the break and Leigh Shickle hit a double in reply.

Alnwick Town Reserves, Seaton Burn, Newcastle Chemfica Independent, Willington Quay Saints and Heddon all advanced in the Northumberland FA Minor Cup, but highest ranked side Wallsend Town crashed to a surprise 2-1 defeat at Kenton Bar and Whickham Lang Jacks went out of the Durham FA Minor Cup after extra time 3-0 to Hartlepool Rovers.