High Street beat Newsham Victory to win Saints Shield

In the Standard Security Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League Saints Shield final, High Street overcame Newsham Victory in a real thriller.

Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 9:34 pm
Updated Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 9:36 pm

The game, sponsored by CR Scott Ltd , Blyth, sprang to life as David Thompson put Newsham in front inside the first minute.

Street should have been level when Anthony Marshall blasted wide on 20 minutes, but he made amends when he curled a shot from the edge of the box just out of the keeper’s reach to equalise.

Two minutes later the Street were in front when Chris Laidlaw was brought down by the keeper and Anthony Goldie converted the resulting penalty.

The lead only lasted two minutes as David Lillico brought Victory level.

Just after the hour Street were reduced to ten when Ridley was sent off for a second yellow.

Jordan Wright had a shot pushed over by Street keeper Dobie as Newsham pushed forward, but the game went to extra time.

Two minutes into the second period two Newsham defenders failed to deal with a through ball and Jason Smart and scored what proved to be the winner.

The man of the match award went to High Street’s Anthony Goldie from High Street.

League secretary Frank Scanlebury thanked all those who turned and Bedlington Terriers for the use of their facilities.

Trevor Scott from the sponsors presented the trophies.

In the SA Randolph Cup final, sponsored by Standard Security, Burradon and New Fordley retained the trophy when they beat Red Lion Earsdon.

Fordley went in front inside a minute with a Dale Pearson goal.

Ian Lee made it 2-0 with a neat flick with the outside of his right foot into the bottom corner. Lee went close to a third when his effort the inside of the post and went across the goal to safety.

A Lee Waugh penalty made the interval score 3-0, and in the second half Fordley stayed in control and David Atkinson completed the scoring with a late fourth.

The man of the match award went to Burradon and New Fordley’s Andrew Keenan.

New league chairman Colin Douglas thanked those who had turned up and Jim Scott from the sponsors presented the trophies.

In the quarter-final of the George Davison Cup, Ashington Town Central from the premier division went out when they were beaten at home 5-0 by division one side Marden Residents.

The goals came from Marc Hunter (3), Richard Thompson and Chris Ridgeway.

Bedlington Social Club booked their place in the Alan Davison Cup final with a 7-0 home win over Ashington Station Lounge thanks to strikes from Chris Philips (3), Ryan Gair, Joe Bolam, Josh Monaghan and Andy Carr. They will meet Burradon and New Fordley on April 17 in the final with a 2.30pm kick-off.

In division one, Ashington Sporting Club beat FC Beacon 10-0 with goals from Scott Neal (5), Robert Sharp, Mark Ord, Michael Robinson, Anthony Richardson and Tommy Wilkinson.

Cramlington Green bounced back from their cup defeat the previous week to win 6-1 at Whitehouse Ashington, who had Mark Taylor on target. Craig Quinn (3), Jordan Leonard, Karl Boughen and John Wilson scored for Green.

Spring Gardens beat visitors Ashington Northern 5-1 with goals from Chris Appleby (3), Paul Foster and Steven Goicoechea. Jonny McGurk scored for Northern.