Holders Isabella fall at first hurdle

THERE will be a new name on the John Hampson Memorial Trophy after last season’s victors Blyth Isabella were knocked out 3-2 after extra time at Walker Central in the only all-first division tie of the first round.

Strikes from Paddy Allen and Daniel Hislop were cancelled out by Paul Mills and a Jonathan Wright brace.

Gosforth Bohemians Reserves join Central in the hat for round two after a comfortable 7-1 away success at North Shields Town.

John Elliott’s hat-trick was added to by a brace from Tim Harrison, with further strikes from Andy Thompson and Bohs club secretary Andy Parkinson.Shields’ sole reply came from Ian Cottiss.

The only other first division team required to earn their place in the second round were West Jesmond, who held off a spirited effort from Ponteland United Reserves to win through 2-1.

Jesmond took the lead as early as the third minute with a Gary Wilkinson header, doubling the advantage three minutes before the break with a terrific strike from wide on the right by Kester Young.

Pont stuck to their task and effected a nervy end to the game for the visitors when Richard Lamb struck with 12 minutes left, but West Jesmond held on to add a cup victory to their impressive start to the campaign.

The top four in the second division were all drawn against each other and, with Winlaton The Queens Head due to play Longbenton on Saturday, Cramlington Town A came away from the Rising Sun with an impressive 3-0 victory over Lindisfarne Athletic.

Town scorers were Christopher Davison, Chris Pooley and top scorer Steven Elsey, who claimed his tenth of the season.

Newcastle Chemfica Reserves saw off Wardley, with Stephen Watson grabbing the only goal of the tie.

The final game on the day saw Gosforth Bohemians A triumph 3-1 over Heaton Rifles, thanks to goals from Mark Envy, Jay Hughes and Adam Sirett. Carl Stoker’s strike was merely a consolation for the visitors.

The only game in division two saw Winlaton The Queens Head continue their imperious form with a 6-1 success at rock bottom Wallsend Town Reserves.

Town made a good fist of it, but only had a Ryan Weatherspoon goal to show for their efforts, with David Dodds, Dean Hall, Chris Henderson, Mathew Fothergil, his 15th of the season, and Ryan Latimer (2) netting for the free scoring visitors, who now have a perfect 27 points from nine games.

In division one, leaders New York dropped two points in a 3-3 draw at Rutherford Reserves. Ford at one point 2-0 down, then went ahead 3-2, but there was more drama to come Rutherford’s keeper saving a late penalty, but New York did not give up and in the 80th minute got an equaliser through Liam Bainbridge. Adetayo Dina and Paul Noon were also struck for the Heaton Terrace men. Rutherford’s goals coming from Scott Dodd, Ryan McGill and Paul Stephenson.

Cullercoats Reserves jumped above Blyth Isabella into fourth place with a 5-4 win against Newcastle Medicals on 3G at High Gosforth Park.

A hat-trick each side from Andrew Hall, Medicals, and Chris Connor, Cullercoats, were added to by two strikes from David Llewellyn, with Medicals’ other counter coming from Jonathan Wood.

Also claiming a 5-4 away success were Grainger Park Boys Club, who left High Howdon Social Club with all three points after doubles from Tony Leach and Chris Riley were supplemented by a fifth from Derek Graham.

Scott Dodds will be disappointed to be on the losing side after claiming a hat-trick, with Chris Philips providing the other Howdon goal.

The final game of the day saw (FOWS) Diggers United gain a 2-1 home success over Blyth Town Reserves. Joe Fluskey and Matty Hayton strikes for Diggers saw them home, with only a sole response from Martin Robinson.