Late drama as Ashington beat Durham City

THREE goals in the last five minutes brought Ashington’s game at Durham City to life on Wednesday evening as they took the points in a 3-2 win

The scoreline suggests a five-goal thriller but a 1-1 score draw appeared to be on the cards with Durham looking the more likely outfit between the two to pinch it.

But suddenly the Colliers looked a formidable side going forward and they sent out a warning sign of what was to come when substitute Mark O’Dea found Andrew Johnson on the right but from his cross Glen Taylor’s failure to control the ball resulted in the danger being averted.

Barely 60 seconds later, Glen Taylor finished with unerring accuracy to put his side in front with a sensational left foot strike from 25 yards.

And the gap widened even further in the next minute when substitute Marc Walton ventured into the penalty area, stole a yard on his marker and drilled home right footed effort across keeper Gareth Young to register his 25th goal of the campaign and surely seal the game at 3-1.

But in the second minute of time added on, there was even more drama as Matty Grieve – who has been rock solid in heart of the defence all game – needlessly pushed Paul Dixon in the area with Denton Burn referee Mick McDonough pointing to the spot.

Up stepped Oliver Hotchkiss to slam home the resultant spot kick and leave the game on a knife-edge for the final few seconds

And with the last action of the game, Ashington keeper Karl Dryden held onto a free kick by Hotchkiss before McDonough’s whistle brought the Wansbeck side not only three points but a season’s double over the Citizens after a 6-2 win at Woodhorn Lane in mid-September.

Ashington had taken the lead in the 17th minute on Durham’s artificial playing surface.

A ball down the left flank found Johnson who cut inside and when his initial shot was parried by Young, the ball ran to Jonny Godsmark whose effort was blocked on the line. However, Johnson pounced onto the rebound to slot home his 23rd goal of the season.

Craig Scott – in commanding form as sweeper – went close to doubling the advantage in the 26th minute when he volleyed narrowly wide following a Paul Antony and Johnson move from a corner on the right.

Durham then posed their first real threat when a shot from the right by Max Stoker drifted across the face of the goal with only a finishing touch missing.

Just before the break, both sides had opportunities.

A quick raid spearheaded by Glen Taylor saw his shot saved by Young, then play switched immediately with Stoker’s effort being well blocked by the advancing Dryden.

After the break, Conor Winter was denied by Dryden then the same player looked threatening until he was halted by Antony.

Ashington somehow survived in the 71st minute when Dixon saw his initial effort blocked by Dryden and his follow up shot was cleared off the line by Grieve.

But five minutes later, Durham deservedly got back on terms through Dixon.

The striker met a driven cross from the left to bullet home a diving header from six yards into the net.

Then came the late drama with Ashington ending on top.

Ashington: Dryden, Grieve, Dobby, Antony, Atkin, Scott, Johnson, Dugdale (O’Dea 80 mins), Godsmark (Walton 59 mins), G Taylor, J Taylor. Subs not used: Heaman, Mellish.