Lavender hits five for Isabella

Share this article

MATTHEW Lavender hit a purple patch as his five strikes helped Blyth Isabella beat North Shields Town 7-0 in Group A of the Selcray Bowl.

Andrew Haigh and Andrew Davison netted the other two goals.

Blyth Town Reserves kept themselves in the hunt by travelling to Winlaton The Queens Head and leaving with an impressive 3-0 victory, with Martin Robinson netting a brace and Darren Percy also scoring.

Heaton Rifles’ hopes of reaching the knockout stage from Group B were ended by rampant Lindisfarne Athletic, who triumphed 8-2 in one of only three games to go ahead on a soaking Wednesday night.

Lindy took a three-goal lead before being pegged back to 3-2 before half-time, but ran away with it after the break.

Jonny Storey and Grant Richardson helped themselves to trebles, and Rod Fleming and Peter Lowery also netted, while Esi Orieno and Craig Volpe countered for Rifles.

Cullercoats were also eliminated after going down 5-2 to West Jesmond despite a brace from Dean McCarthy.

Doubles from manager Chris Barr and Gary Wilkinson and a sole effort from Alistair Semmence won it for Jesmond, who qualify as Group B winners.

Wardley meanwhile confirmed top spot in Group C after a late comeback secured a 2-2 draw with Chemfica Reserves.

The game was switched to Wardley but it was Chemfica who made the better start, with Craig Black’s penalty and a Joe Shaw strike having them two goals up.

However, a Liam Charlton chip got Wardley back into it and supersub Carl Lillico headed the equaliser with only moments left.

Longbenton kept their hopes alive with a 5-1 success over Gosforth Bohemians A in Group D.

David Hetherington and Rob Woods both netted doubles, with David Short also netting his 30th of the season for the Bulls, while Colin McLaughlin claimed the Bohs’ counter.

Chemfica Reserves will play Heaton Rifles in the semi-finals of the North East Amateur Challenge Shield next Saturday despite losing their final group game 2-1 to Cramlington Town A.

A Craig Black strike was not enough to win the game as Chris Laidlaw and David Thomson netted for Town.

In the other semi-final, Winlaton The Queens Head will play Wardley.

Elsewhere, the April showers decimated the schedule and caused the postponement of the Tyneside Amateur Challenge Shield Final at the UTS Stadium in Dunston.

Weather permitting, the John Hampson Memorial Trophy Final will take place at the same ground on Wednesday, May 2, kick-off 7pm.