Morpeth lose three-goal lead but fight back to win

Morpeth Town continued their excellent run where they have only lost once since October with a 4-3 home win over Guisborough Town.

Town’s management of Nick Grey and Dave Malone took the opportunity to rest a number of key players and had to reckon without long term absentee James Novak.

Guisborough went into the game second in the league and looking to maintain their title challenge.

But it was Town who took the lead with Daniel Taggart turning quickly and firing low into the net following a great run by Ben Sayer.

Shortly afterwards it was two when Michael Hall headed home a Sayer corner, giving Guisborough keeper Liversedge no chance.

Then it was the turn of Chris Jewels to meet another Sayer’s corner and power a downward header beyond Liversedge.

Just before half-time it could have been four when Taylor burst through on the left but Liversedge saved his low shot with his legs.

Town were shook just before half-time when Guisborough broke down the middle and following a tackle by Jewels on Earl just outside the box the referee awarded a penalty on seeing Earl lying in the box, having rolled there following the tackle.

Earl took the contested spot kick and gave Karl Dryden no chance with a low hard drive into the corner.

Guisborough came out for the second half with renewed vigour and reduced the deficit on 49 minutes through Callum Martin.

Their comeback was complete on the hour when Earl got in front of his man at a corner to header over Dryden.

But to their credit, Morpeth came right back at Guisborough and laid siege to the visitors goal, and it was central defender Jewels who, following a corner, half=volleyed home from ten yards to put Town into control, which they comfortably held on for the remainder of the game.

Morpeth manager Grey said: “It was an excellent game in which we again showed our resilience and determination in coming back after conceding a three-goal lead.”

Town’s next match following Wednesday’s game at North Shields will be the Northumberland Senior Cup final at St James’ Park, where they take on Blyth Spartans on Monday, April 27, kick-off 7.30pm.

Buses for supporters will be leaving Craik Park and Castle Square at 6pm.

Anyone interested should contact John Richardson on 07738 447544.