Morpeth Town open season with FA Cup win over Seaham

Luke Carr and Michael Chilton's second-half strikes edged Morpeth Town past Seaham Red Star and into the next round of the FA Cup.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 11:46 am
Updated Monday, 8th August 2016, 12:49 pm
Morpeth Town's Luke Carr.

Paul Robinson had opened the scoring with a spectacular effort on 33 minutes, moments after a Liam Henderson strike was pushed onto the post by Shaun Newbrook.

Dan Kirkup then saw red ten minutes after half-time, but ten-man Seaham equalised after the hour mark through a brilliant Craig Lynch effort.

Carr combined with Sayer for Morpeth’s second and the game was put to bed when Chilton headed home unmarked from a corner with five minutes to play.

The Highwaymen have to wait to find out their opponents for the next round as the Jarrow Roofing and North Shields’ match ended goalless.

After an impressive pre-season, Morpeth’s long-awaited return to competitive football returned, as they travelled to Seaham Town Park to face Red Star.

After a fairly even opening 20 minutes, which saw Lee Hetherington and Henderson have efforts go close, the game come to life.

Morpeth started to find their feet and they went close to breaking the deadlock when Henderson’s effort was pushed onto the post by the keeper.

They continued their relentless pressure and eventually went ahead with just over ten minutes to play before the break.

Robinson picked up the ball 25 yards out, and after he turned, the midfielder smashed his shot into the bottom corner.

The summer-signing could have had a second six minutes later, but his Cantona-style effort lobbed up and cannoned off the top of the post.

Henderson’s effort in injury time was superbly saved by Newbrook, who produced a diving one-handed stop, which meant the Highwaymen went in at the break one-up.

Seaham came out after the break with a point to prove, and they went close when Darryll Donnelly and Lynch flashed wide in quick succession.

However, moments later Kirkup saw red for his professional foul on Henderson, who was through on goal before being dragged down.

The ten-men rallied and drew level on 66 minutes when Lynch curled into the top corner from a good 25 yards out.

Morpeth ensured that the hosts were not level for long, as inside two minutes after Lynch equalised, the visitors restored their lead.

Sayers’ quick corner came to Carr, who carried the ball past three men before firing into the bottom corner through a crowd of players.

Substitute Damen Mullen rattled the crossbar from the halfway line, and Seaham hit the bar themselves eight minutes from time through David Paul.

Newbrook produced another surreal save from Henderson, which would have ensured victory, but Morpeth did find a decisive third from the resulting corner.

Sayer swung the corner in and substitute Chilton, who was left unmarked, attacked the ball and headed home from close range.

Nick Gray and Dave Malone will now have to wait to begin their league campaign due to Jarrow Roofing playing their FA Cup replay on Tuesday evening.

Morpeth: Dryden, Forster, Reid, Sayer, Hall, Grieve, Taylor, Graydon (Fondato 86), Henderson, Robinson (Mullen 63), Carr (Chilton 79). Subs not used: Anderson, Swailes, Bell, Provett

Attendance: 160.