New campaign sees United open with win

Share this article

REIGNING champions Ponteland United got off to a winning start – but they were made to work hard for the victory by Seaton Delaval Amateurs.

Paul Hodgson fired United ahead from the penalty spot as early as the fourth minute and the black and whites looked on easy street when Richard Kent made it two just eight minutes later.

But Delaval fought back and a Grant Kershaw double brought them level before the break.

Hodgson kept his cool to fire in a second penalty in the 70th minute and Harry Tulip sealed the victory with a fourth four minutes from time.

Jamie Heath hit a hat-trick as Carlisle City romped to a 5-2 win over Percy Main Amateurs.

Ian Grainger capitalised on a defensive mix-up to hammer the opener into the roof of the net in the 11th minute and six minutes later Main keeper Bob Rogerson misjudged a 30-yard Heath free-kick which flashed into the bottom corner.

Heath added a second right on half time and completed his treble in the 65th minute.

Main fought back with goals from John Amos on 75 minutes and Steven Shadforth on 82, but City sub Martin Shepherd notched a fifth sixty seconds later.

Ashington Colliers Simon Cunningham netted a late winner in a 2-1 success over Walker Central. Michael Hogg had given Ashington a 10th minute lead which was cancelled out by James Walker in the 42nd. Cunningham grabbed the winner with just two minutes left.

Jack Pitchin and Simon Patter scored in the second half as Killingworth Sporting beat Stocksfield and Sean Todhunter hit an opener for Gateshead Rutherford on the hour that Craig Watson levelled for Hebburn Reyrolle from the penalty spot in the 75th.

Whitley Bay A were 3-0 up at half time at Murton with an own goal and strikes from Michael McMullen and Gavin Hattrick and they added a fourth after the break from William Dedes.

Harraby CC also hit four at Heaton Stannington. Dan Balmer hit a double with a Mike Swift penalty and late Maddison goal doing the damage. Dean Holmes hit a late penalty consolation for the home side.

Cramlington Town’s Luke Newton fired in from the penalty spot in the fifth minute to settle any nerves at Forest Hall and further goals from Sean Hay, in the 35th, and Jamie Heathcote five minutes later had the relegated side breathing easy.

Matty Lynn sealed a good victory five minutes after the break while Matthew MacLoughlin hit a double for Wark, who also went down last season, in a 2-0 success at Cullercoats.

Michael Calder, Jack Palmer, Josh Gilmartin and Sam Walton all netted in the first half for Wallington with Darren Campbell hitting a consolation for Gosforth Bohemians after the break and a Michael Starkey double helped Morpeth Sporting on their way to a hard-fought 3-0 win at Newcastle East End. Rob Haney grabbed the other.

Lee Harker and Josh Hay scored for Amble United as the beat promoted Newcastle Chemfica Independent 2-1, with Martin Dixon netting for the visitors while the other promoted side, Wallsend Town, recorded a good 3-1 win over Heddon. Craig Burke, Micky Armstrong and Lee Watson scored.

Three Division Two players were asking their bosses for the match ball after netting hat-tricks as the goals flew in.

New Fordley’s Daniel Young hit four in twenty minutes as the new boys thrashed derby rivals Cramlington United 9-1, Cameron Wilson hit a treble for Northbank in a 6-0 win at Wallsend Boys club and David Graham struck three for Harton & Westoe in a 6-3 success at North Shields Athletic.

New Fordley were the day’s big winners and hot-shot Young was joined on the scoresheet by Craig Dunn, who hit two, Andrew Dalton, Louis Boddy and Andrew Waugh. Lawrence Kirkby hit the meagre consolation for United whose defence were left in tatters by their free-scoring neighbours.

Northbank gave a wake up call to a young Boys Club side and Wilson’s team-mates Nicky Routledge, Neil Thornley and Gary Richardson were all on target while Nicholas Quinn, Dean Black and Ben Cooper were Harton & Westoe’s other scorers.

Seaton Burn’s Andrew Bennett netted a double in a 3-1 win at Alston, who had Reece Thirtle on target while they were left groaning as they also put into their own goal.

Rob Nolan scored twice for Red House farm as they took the points in a 4-3 thriller at Willington Quay Saints. Stephen Thompson and Scott Rowan were the other Red House hit-men while Mark Henderson scored two and Micky Turner the other for Saints.

Lewis Holmes shot Swalwell ahead against Bedlington Terriers Reserves and the win was capped off by late goals from Mick Bell and Shaun Rogan while Alnwick Town Reserves got off to a winning start at Wideopen.

Colin Bickerton gave Town the lead in the 34th minute and Jordan Trotter tucked away a penalty for number two in the 75th minute. Andrew Shaw pulled one back with nine minutes to go.