Newbiggin in driving seat for division two title

Colin McLelland's powerful strike gives AFC Newbiggin the lead in their 4-1 win to take them to the top of division one in the Northern Alliance. Picture by Ian Appleby -
Colin McLelland's powerful strike gives AFC Newbiggin the lead in their 4-1 win to take them to the top of division one in the Northern Alliance. Picture by Ian Appleby -
Share this article

Blyth Town took the Northern Alliance premier division title thanks to sub Ian Lee’s late winner at Walker Central.

Lee arrived to crash a volley into the back of the net in the 89th minute of an evenly-contested match to give the South Newsham side the silverware.

Killingworth Station had Chris Tate and Martin Roper on target before hosts Red House Farm drew level thanks to a Steven Brown penalty and Paul Newton-Eddy strike.

But Dean Nicholson tucked away Station’s winner from the penalty spot, but the damage had been done by an unexpected midweek defeat by Hebburn Reyrolle which leaves Station trailing by eight points with only two games to play.

Shankhouse hit five at Ashington Colliers. Russell Ward, Lee Gustard, Anth Watson (own goal), Paul Dunn and Adam Bamborough all on target with Lee Scott replying.

Stocksfield hit back after Wallington’s Alex Slack had shot them ahead to win with goals from Andy Hall, Ben Murdoch, Darren Graham and a Glen Caygill penalty.

Peter Ferris and Marc Shiel fired in for Carlisle City in their victory at Whitley Bay A, who struck courtesy of Chris Bell.

The division one title race is heating up and North Shields Athletic went top after putting 12 past Wooler. John Wyres (3), Dan Capewell (2), Sean Milligan (2), Anthony Keith, Anthony Errington, Maksims Zabrovs, Lee Crammond and Ryan Bailey all got in on the act as Athletic hit top gear.

Their rivals slipped up with Cramlington Town taking the lead through Wynn Fremlin but going down as Ponteland United hit back with goals from Dunn and Clark.

Jay Lomano netted for Chemfica but visitors Newcastle Uni had Joe Watson and Jake Salisbury on target in 2-1 win.

Alan Pegram, Liam Henderson, Kevin Hay and Blair Johnson scored for Gateshead Redheugh as they won at Willington Quay Saints and although Marcus Burn shot Bohemians ahead at Hexham, second half strikes from Aiden Armstrong and Gav Cox sealed victory for the Tynedalers.

Lee Cuthbertson, Tony Smith and Paul Beat were on the scoresheet for Birtley St Josephs in their win against Bedlington Terriers Reserves, whose scorer was Mark Race.

New Fordley hit seven in an 11-goal thriller with Heddon. Louis Boddy, John Dubios and Zak Tully all bagged braces with Ben Davison getting the other while Francis Storey and Andy Hall both hit doubles in reply.

In division two, AFC Newbiggin got back on track with an important win over Newcastle Benfield Reserves. Col McLelland headed the Seasiders in front but Chris Thompson levelled. Jonathon McEnaney struck twice after the break to put Newbiggin in control and Kris Allington rounded the scoring off with a late fourth that puts them top of the table.

West Allotment Celtic A’s Sean Allen and Dan Surley put them two-up against Blyth Isabella, who hit back to claim a point with goals from Dean Fitch and Michael Meins.

Nicky Whitelaw struck a double in Wallsend Boys Club’s victory at Swalwell. Michael Starkie got the other and Steven Tumelty netted for the hosts.

Dave Hewitt’s opener for Seaton Burn was cancelled out by Alnwick Town Reserves’ Neil McFall after the break.