Newbiggin put six past tiring Bedlington Terriers

Bedlington Terriers striker Marc Walton gives his side the lead but they were thrashed 6-2 by AFC Newbiggin in their friendly. Picture by Ian Appleby -
Bedlington Terriers striker Marc Walton gives his side the lead but they were thrashed 6-2 by AFC Newbiggin in their friendly. Picture by Ian Appleby -

Bedlington Terriers suffered their first defeat under new manager Andy Ferrell as they were put to the sword in the final 20 minutes by AFC Newbiggin at Ashington College.

Ferrell and Marc Walton made sure that the visitors went in ahead at the break after Steve Slaughter had given the hosts the lead in the first 80 seconds.

But Newbiggin took advantage of weary legs and fired home five times in the final 19 minutes.

The men from Welfare Park had won all three of their pre-season fixtures leading into the game, scoring 11 goals along the way.

However, proceedings did not start the ideal way as Newbiggin took the lead in the second minute when Slaughter hooked home Michael Angus’ corner.

Newbiggin had started the better but the visitors were only behind for nine minutes.

Lance McGlen’s floated through ball to Ferrell was met on the half-volley, and the midfielder showed no hesitation and rifled home his shot first time past a helpless Craig Towart.

The goal helped the visitors get a foothold in the game and they soon found themselves rewarded for good play when Walton put them ahead.

Liam Hudson broke down the left and found the striker on the edge of the six-yard box, and after turning his man he fired home.

Hudson almost bagged a goal of himself but he was denied by Towart after the keeper blocked the striker’s shot with his face.

Half-time was looming and the Terriers almost fired in their third, Walton’s 40-yard effort almost caught Towart off his line, but the keeper got a hand to it.

Newbiggin almost have found themselves level at the break.

Angus’ corner was fumbled around the Bedlington penalty area, and when it finally broke out, Martin Humble fired his effort against the crossbar.

Slaughter almost bagged his second of the game when he headed against the bar just after the hour mark, but he failed to convert Angus’ drilled cross from two yards moments later.

However, the game was turned on its head when Newbiggin scored two goals in 96 seconds to put them ahead for the second time.

Brent Aisbitt took advantage of some lacklustre defensive play and tapped home, while Richie Morris saw his effort from the halfway line sail over the keeper and in after hitting the underside of the bar.

Aisbitt bagged his second of the game moments later when Frazer Nairn, who was heavily challenged, failed to collect a ball over the top, which left the striker with another tap-in.

Things went from bad to worse when Newbiggin’s fifth went in two minutes after their fourth, Chris Phillips found Kevin Halliday who headed home unchallenged.

Ferrell may well have found himself with a brace to his name, but his strike from outside the area struck the crossbar.

Keelan Nellis denied Ashley Smyth three minutes before the end with a goalline clearance, but the hosts did manage to find their sixth goal with the final kick of the game.

Half-time substitute Chris Phillips latched onto a neat pass and after spotting the keeper approaching, he lobbed it over and into an empty net.

AFC Newbiggin: Towart, Halliday (Trialist 82), Waters (Phillips 46), Slaughter (Smyth 75), Humble, Bone (Richardson 55), Morris, Muter, Hogg (Kennedy 26), Aisbitt, Angus (Hankinson 70).

Terriers: Staples (Nairn 46), L.McGlen, Skidmore (T) (Nellis 46), Liam Davison (McBride 58), Pendlebury (Lewis Davison 46), Stoneman, Stephenson (Laviers (T) 68), Buzzeo (Skidmore (T) 78), Walton, Ferrell, Hudson (Stephenson 78).