Newcastle United gossip: Steve Bruce told to sign ex-Arsenal star, Toon set to miss out on £17m deal

The Newcastle United transfer window chatter continues to tick along in the background as a full nation hope and pray over England’s Euro 2020 campaign.

Monday, 14th June 2021, 6:00 pm
Newcastle United have been urged to consider signing former Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Newcastle United have been urged to consider signing former Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Gareth Southgate’s Three Lions got off to the perfect start on Sunday afternoon by beating Croatia 1-0 in their Group D opener.

But while that was going on, the Magpies and their Premier League rivals were being linked with a host of incomings and outgoings in the summer market.

Here's the latest from St James’s Park:

Everton ‘set’ to move for Nuno and Nunes

Everton are set to appoint Nuno Espirito Santo as their new manager – and sign reported Newcastle United target Matheus Nunes.

That’s according to Portuguese publication Record (via HITC), which reports that Santo will swoop for the Sporting Lisbon star once his arrival at Goodison Park is confirmed.

It was previously claimed Steve Bruce’s side tried to sign the Brazilian on a loan-to-buy deal in January but their efforts fell short.

Sporting are said to be open to offloading the 22-year-old for around £17million.

Toon urged to consider Wilshere move

Former Newcastle defender Steve Howey has urged Steve Bruce to consider a move for free agent Jack Wilshere.

The former Arsenal midfielder spent last season at Championship outfit Bournemouth – scoring twice in 17 appearances.

Indeed, his career has been blighted by injuries but Howey believes the 29-year-old could be a shrewd signing for United on a pay-as-you-play deal.

Howey told Football Fancast: "If it was me, and I was in his position, then I would take that because I don’t think there are many clubs that are going to offer him a great deal of money, given his history of injuries.

“Me personally, I’d go down that route, because you would be at a top-flight club with magnificent fans, and you’d be playing in the top flight.”

Ritchie anxious to leave Newcastle – report

Matt Ritchie is reportedly "anxious” to leave Newcastle this summer and seal a return to former club Bournemouth.

The 31-year-old was close to re-joining the Cherries in January but a move fell through.

Ritchie then went on to play a key part in Newcastle’s successful battle against top-flight relegation.

And despite his popularity among Toob fans, Ritchie maintains his desire to leave St James’s Park for family reasons, as per the Daily Mirror.