Pattison scores twice to seal win as Blyth recover from losing two-goal lead

Blyth Spartans surrendered a two-goal lead before claiming a 4-3 win in the final minute of a pulsating Buildbase FA Trophy tie against Halesowen Town on Saturday.

Monday, 14th November 2016, 12:30 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:50 pm
Blyth Spartans' Matty Pattison. Picture by Bill Broadley

Nathan Buddle and Daniel Maguire had given the hosts a first half lead before Jay Denny reduced the deficit for Town on 56 minutes.

Substitute Ethan Delaney’s brace within two minutes put Halesowen ahead before Blyth replacement Matty Pattison scored a bizarre equaliser on 82 minutes.

Pattison then sent Croft Park into delirium in the 90th minute when he smashed home from two-yards to finally kill off Blyth’s fellow Evo-Stik Premier League side.

In Monday’s draw Spartans were handed an away tie at Altrincham on Saturday, November 26.

The Cheshire-based side are currently bottom of the Vanarama National League.

Against Halesowen, a much changed Spartans side flew out of the traps and could easily have taken the lead within the first two minutes thanks to a ricochet off Maguire.

The ball dropped perfectly for Jarrett Rivers, who raced towards goal and rounded keeper Daniel Platt, but the winger was denied an early goal thanks to Kyle Morrison’s timely intervention.

Rivers then turned provider less than a minute later when he played an inch-perfect pass into Andrew Cartwright inside the area. The right back then cut the ball back to Maguire but he could only shoot straight at Platt.

The combination of Stephen Turnbull and Richard Pell at set-pieces terrorised Goole in the last round, and they threatened to produce a repeat after just six minutes as the defender leapt highest to connect with the corner only for the header to clear the crossbar.

A clever dummy from Luke Armstrong on nine minutes allowed Maguire to race onto a lofted through ball from the Blyth defence. He looked to convert from a narrow angle but, despite looking anything but comfortable as the ball reached him, Platt did just enough to keep his clean sheet intact.

The opening exchanges had been in the home side’s favour, but a defensive mix-up gave the Croft Park faithful some unnecessary anxiety on 18 minutes.

Keeper Paul Woolston had advanced out of his area to meet Platt’s clearance but, under pressure from Kaiman Anderson, Buddle overhit a pass back past the Blyth keeper. Thankfully for the 23-year-old it went wide of the goal.

Buddle was back to his best within four minutes though as he did just enough to put Anderson off in the box and the Halesowen striker scuffed his shot safely towards a grateful Woolston.

The centre back was caught up in the action once again on 27 minutes when he headed clear a dangerous cross from the left. However, the Halesowen players believed Pell had handled the ball just prior to the clearance, but the referee ignored their penalty shouts.

And Buddle caused shouts of a different kind a little over two minutes later as he finally put Blyth ahead.

Turnbull floated in a free kick from halfway and Buddle met the ball with a powerful header back across Platt and into the top corner.

Robert Dale must have sensed that Platt’s confidence had taken a knock as he tried an audacious effort from halfway just three minutes later. The Town stopper breathed a sigh of relief, though, when the strike failed to find its target.

But Platt suffered more misery with six minutes of the first half to go as Spartans made the most of the advantage of a foul on Damen Mullen to double their advantage.

Armstrong headed on Chris Bell’s ball towards Maguire, who manoeuvred his way around substitute Richard Sho-Silva then twisted inside and out to tie the Halesowen defence in knots before finishing calmly between the keeper’s legs.

Dale came up with some dancing of his own on 45 minutes, which allowed him to try his luck from the edge of the box. Platt was much more alert this time and it was a comfortable hold for the visiting keeper.

If both sides thought that was it before the break then they were wrong as Spartans received a let-off in added time when a Halesowen goal was ruled out.

Anderson had been found in the box by a knock-on 18 yards out. Asa Charlton stole the ball off his teammate’s toes from an offside position and slotted it past Woolston, but the assistant flagged straight away before the midfielder could celebrate.

Blyth had started the game strongly and they nearly grabbed a third by following in the same vein as the second half got under way.

Great link-up between Rivers and Maguire saw the latter try to play in his strike partner Armstrong, but he got too much on it and Platt rushed out to gather.

With 54 minutes gone, Maguire played an exquisite diagonal ball across to Rivers in the box. The winger checked his run to sell Sho-Silva short, but his placed shot across Platt went just inches wide of the post.

That miss was then compounded when, two minutes later, Halesowen clawed their way back into the tie.

Woolston did well to punch clear a dangerous cross, but the ball went straight to Denny 25 yards out. With the on-loan Newcastle United keeper still on the floor from his clearance, the Halesowen captain finished well first-time into an empty net to halve the deficit.

Town took fresh impetus from that goal and could have been level on 63 when substitute Delaney beat Buddle to a dropping ball and it fell kindly for Anderson, whose effort wenr just wide.

But they were not to be denied as they drew level with a beautifully taken goal just 60 seconds later, showing the same resilience that had seen them record an impressive six wins in their last eight games.

Halesowen played the ball about at the edge of the Blyth area before it ended up with Delaney just inside the box. He executed a fine curling finish around the outstretched hand of a diving Woolston to put the visitors level.

Parity would remain for just two minutes as Delaney claimed his second to put Halesowen ahead for the first time in the tie. The substitute caught Buddle cold and turned him inside and out before rolling the ball past Woolston.

Spartans had received a real sucker punch having seen their two-goal lead turn into a 3-2 reverse, but they were unlucky not to peg back the away side with 18 minutes to go. Maguire won a header at the back post that looked to be sneaking in, but it went just wide of the upright and into the side netting.

That looked to be all she for Spartans in this season’s Buildbase FA Trophy, but substitute Pattison had other ideas with a bizarre goal in the 82nd minute.

The South African picked the ball up a fair distance from goal and opted to strike from long-range. It looked to be a routine stop for Platt, but he was totally outfoxed by the flight of the ball and it somehow found the back of the net.

Halesowen continued to press despite their setback and should have sealed the tie with four minutes to go when Lee Chilton was found free just yards from goal, but the winger hit the ball over the diving Blyth bodies at his feet and over the bar.

Just when the tie appeared to be heading to a replay, Maguire raced down the left and cut the ball past Platt and across to Armstrong, who turned and held the ball up under pressure. Instead of trying to shoot on the turn, the 20-year-old left it for Pattison to smash home his second and secure the win for Spartans.

Blyth continue in cup competitions on Tuesday night, when they travel to Shaw Lane AFC in the Integro Doodson Cup.

Blyth Spartans: Woolston, Cartwright (Nicholson 82), Bell, Mullen, Pell, Buddle, Rivers (Richardson 73), Turnbull, Maguire, Armstrong, Dale (Pattison 72). Subs not used: Wade, Caines.

Attendance: 565.

Spartans man of the match Daniel Maguire.