Shandran is on fire

BEDLINGTON Terriers stormed through to the next round of the FA Vase on Saturday with a 9-1 win over Stokesley at Welfare Park.

Terriers hosted the Northern League division one bottom side for the second time in two weeks, having put 15 past the North Yorkshire side on the previous meeting.

And once again it was goal-machine Anthony Shandran who stole the show.

After scoring six in the 15-0 league win, he repeated the feat with another double hat-trick on Saturday.

Bedlington fielded a changed side from the midweek defeat to Billingham Synthonia with Kevin Morton starting in goal in place of Craig Pickering, Colin Morton moving up into midfield to partner Steven Bowey, who started in place of Stuart Elliott, and Steven Stewart dropping into full back.

Ian Graham dropped to the bench for Steven Richardson to take the No. 9 shirt.

Bedlington were in front after only two minutes when a high clearance by the Stokesley defence was headed by Bowey to Tommy English on the left wing.

His lofted pass found Shandran hugging the wing and he progressed to the byline and scored from an acute angle.

Shandran again found the net in the 26th minute when he robbed Aaron Foley and rounded the keeper before tucking the ball away.

During the celebrations, Richardson was replaced by Ian Graham after suffering an injury a few minutes earlier when executing a diving header at the far post.

Stokesley pulled a goal back straight from the kick-off when former Middlesbrough junior Nathan Porritt received the ball midway through the Terriers half, with defenders backing away, he struck a superb strike into the far corner of the goal.

Shandran however wasn’t content.

Bowey fed a pass out wide to English on the left wing and his cross saw Shandran rise unchallenged to head home via the far post for his third.

Shandran then scored his fourth when a run down the right wing by Douglas from inside his own half saw an attempted pass inside come off Foley and divert perfectly into the path of Bowey.

He threaded a perfect ball through for Shandran and his first touch took him round the keeper and he was able to knock the ball into the empty net to make it 4-1.

During the interval, Stokesley made two changes, replacing Hutchinson in goal with Paul Hubbard, who was celebrating his 18th birthday. The second change saw Sunjit Singh come on in place of captain Daniel Rowbotham.

Terriers’ lead was increased further after 55 minutes when Dean Douglas advanced down the right and laid the ball back to Steven Harrison.

He switched play to the left where English pushed forward and passed to Shandran, who held the ball up then back-heeled it into the path of the English and he finished left footed past the keeper.

After 57 minutes Douglas was replaced by Paul Swithenbank, and he proceeded to score his first goal for the club five minutes later when Stewart won the ball in defence and set up Bowey, who in turn fed Shandran, and his first time pass into the path of Swithenbank’s run saw the substitute casually lift the ball over the keeper.

Stokesley made their final change with goalscorer Porritt replaced by Shane Erskine after 72 minutes while Colin Morton was replaced by Mark Convery returning after injury.

With Stokesley attacking the Terriers goal from a corner, the ball was cleared to Swithenbank in his own half, and he hit a first time pass down the line to Graham, and his first time pass across to Shandran in the box where he was brought down by Mark Lilley.

Shandran picked himself up and took the subsequent penalty – sending the keeper the wrong way to make it 7-1.

However, Terriers were not finished.

Shandran beat off the challenge of Singh and crossed for Graham to take a touch before he found the back of the net with a neat finish.

Shandran finished the scoring with four minutes remaining when a long ball by Harrison was flicked through by Graham for Shandran to round the keeper and score from a tight angle.

On Saturday Terriers entertain either South Shields or Newcastle Benfield in the FA Cup, dependant on the outcome of their replay after the first attempt suffered a floodlight failure with the scores level at 2-2 at half-time.