Shandran keeps on finding target

BEDLINGTON Terriers FC booked their place in the first round of the FA Vase with a narrow but comfortable 1-0 win over Northallerton on Saturday.

And it was that man Anthony Shandran who was on target to score the vital goal.

Shandran, who started from the bench after passing a late fitness test following a calf injury, was on target early in the second half.

It was the striker’s 19th goal of the season already and his seventh so far in this season’s FA Vase competition.

Northallerton Town had made the second qualifying round having won 3-1 at North Shields while Bedlington had beaten Stokesley Sporting Club 9-1to make it to this stage.

The Bedlington starting line-up included a number of changes from the 2-2 draw at Marske in midweek with Steven Richardson starting in place of Ian Graham and Tommy English in for Steven Stewart.

Steven Bowey started in place of Stuart Elliott with Paul Swithenbank out.

Bedlington nearly took the lead early on when former Gateshead striker Richardson found himself with an opportunity after finding space on the left wing.

He headed towards goal before hitting a right foot effort which went narrowly wide of Kell’s goal.

The Terriers were forced into an early change when Richardson had to go off on 34 minutes with Shandran coming off the bench.

Ricardson was caught by a defender on the shin as he took a shot on the Northallerton goal.

Shandran then found himself in a good opportunity within six minutes of coming on after being played through, but his low effort was saved by Kell.

During the half-time break, Bedlington made a tactical change to play with two up front with Mark Convery, who was also returning form injury, sacrificed with Graham coming on.

The tactical change paid dividends five minutes into the second half when a run from Dean Douglas down the right saw him cut back inside and square the ball for Shandran.

He steadied himself and curled a brilliant left footed effort into the top corner and out of the reach of the home keeper.

Looking to build on their lead, the visitors pressed for a second goal when Douglas shot just wide on 55 minutes.

The move and effort certainly deserved a goal but went just wide of the far post with the keeper stranded.

The home side made their first change of the game with Aaron Ramsbottom replacing Anderson.

Shandran again found a shooting opportunity but his shot went just wide of the post.

The home side were struggling to keep the visitors at bay and made their second change of the match with Cook coming on for Butterworth.

With seven minutes to go the visitors made their final change of the game.

As a precuation before Saturday’s big FA Cup tie at Blyth Spartans, substitute Shandran was himself replaced by Elliott.

High-flying Northallerton rarely posed any threat to the visitors goal.

Terriers keeper Kevin Morton found himself with little to do in an important afternoon which was comprehensively won by the visiting side.

Despite only scoring one goal on the day, the Terriers proved the difference between the two sides by controlling the tie and created enough chances to finish the game off.

On another day the score would have been different.

This weekend’s FA Cup tie at Croft Park will, however, pose a different challenge.

Kick off is at 3pm with admission set at £10 for adults, £5.50 for concessions with under ten’s admitted for free if accompanied by an adult.

In the event of a draw the replay will be at Bedlington’s Welfare Park on Wednesday, October 5, with a 7.45pm kick-off.

Admission to a replay will be £6 for adults and £3 for concessions.

n In midweek Bedlington were held to a 2-2 draw at Marske United.

After falling behind to a McGill goal midway through the first half, Terriers equalised on 63 minutes when Mark Convery converted a penalty awarded for handball.

The visitors thought they had secured all three points when Richard Flynn rose above the home defence to head past the home keeper.

But controversy was to follow after Brinskill had capatilised on slack defending to level in the final minute.

After Markse went close to a winner, Terriers saw penalty claims turned down when Paul Swithenbank went down in the area.