Social Club tops in all Bedlington cup final


In the J D Marnock Cup Final, Bedlington Social Club came out on top against the Bedlington Market Tavern by 3-1.

The Market Tavern seemed to have the better of the early exchanges, however, without creating any chances. Joe Moscrop did have a chance to put the Social Club in front after good work by Craig Webb. Webbs cross went through Moscrops legs and wasa cleared. The Social Club were forced to make early changes after two players were injured. The Social Club took the lead after 30 minutes, after more good work from Craig Webb who found Josh Monaghan to score. The scores stayed level at the break.

The Market Tavern made a change at the break and started the better of the two sides. The Tavern keeper was called into action to prevent the Social Club going two up. The Tavern nearly drew level, but somehow the defenders managed to clear the ball. However, the Tavern did score when Jamie Thompson chased a ball down. Douglas in the Social Clubs goal should have headed the ball clear; however, he tried to kick it clear. The ball hit Thompson who had at tap in to bring it level. The Social Club came back and with fifteen minutes left Simon Cunnigham let fly with a shot from 25 yards. The Taverns keeper just stood and watched it sail into the top corner. Five minutes later Andrew Welsh made the game safe with a third goal for the Social Club. Man of the match award went to Craig Webb. Trophies were present by Committe member John Scantlebury on behalf of Reay Security.

Amble made it three finals and three wins when they defeated Ashington RAOB 4-0. The game never really turned out to be spectacular. Most of the game was spoilt by loads of petty fouls, which stopped the flow of the game. The game came to life with a flowing move, which ended with Sean Taylor scoring for Amble Tavern. The score remained 1-0 at the break.

After the break, a mixup between a defender and the keeper allowed Brad Wake to increase Ambles lead. Substitute Liam Brooks the made it three nil with fifteen minutes left. Then in added on time Josh Hay made it four. After the game NFA Councillor Frank Scantlebury and League Secretary on behalf of Port Traing Services. He also thanked Bedlington Terriers and staff for the use of their ground for the leagues finals. He then presented trophies to man of the match Brad Wake from Amble Tavern. Trophies were the presented to Match officials and both teams.

In the premier division, Blyth Town Sunday won 7-2 at home against Broomhill North End Trap. Leading the scoring was star man Martyn Hepple with a hattrick. Liam Gillesphey chipped in with two. Robert Ridley and a penalty from John William completed the scoring. Goals for the Trap came from Max Anderson and star man Reece Wright.

In the title decider for division one the Whitehouse Ashington needed to score three more goals than Marden Residents in their match to win the league. In the end, they ran out 4-0 winners. Michael Freathy led the scoring with two. Richard Hall and Michael Grieves scored the other two. Star man was Michael Simm.