Tait turns the game for Bubbles

Share this article

ASHINGTON Bubbles came from two goals down to win the Blyth and Wansbeck Sunday League JD Marnock Cup final with a 4-2 win over Ashington White House.

Callum Swinney and Michael Freathy had put White House in control in the final at Bedlington’s Walfare park.

But Bubbles subsitute Kris Tait sparked his side into life by scoring two before late goals from Steven Clark and Kris Allington secured the win.

Man of the match award, selected by match sponsor Synergy Health Care, went to Tait and the trophy was presented by league president George Allen.

The George Davison Cup final saw the premier division’s top two Ashington Mortimer and holders Burradon and New Fordley meet.

Played in heavy rain, it was not until five minutes into the second half that Mortimer broke the deadlock with a goal from Martin Humble.

This spurred Burradon on and Ian Lee levelled on 70 minutes.

Ten minutes later Michael Chilton put Burradon 2-1 up before Mortimer centre half David Riches sent the game into extra time.

Neither side managed to find a winner and it was Burradon won a penalty shoot-out 5-4.

Gary Bailes from Ashington Mortimer was voted man of the match and league secretary Frank Scantlebury presented the trophies.

In division one, Monkseaton Arms came up against a Blyth Seahorse side who put the names into a hat then picked who was playing where - they went down 9-2.

Seahorse’s Nick Soulsby hit their two goals.

Cowpen Percy Arms won 5-1 away to Blyth South Beach with Paul Hickson in sparkling form, scoring four, with Paul Joicse notching the other goal. Andrew Keenan hit the lone consolation.

Division two champions North Shields Royal Arms won 3-1 at home against Bedlington Community.

The Thompson brothers Les and Nicky score one each with Scott Pocklington also on target. Jamie Graham scored for Community.

Ashington Grand Street had a comfortable 9-0 win at Blyth Ridley Park.

Scoring for Grand Street was Stephen Frater (2), Stuart Arkle (2), Michael Dunkan, Graeme Buller, Shaun Laing, Daniel Purvis and Alan Buller.

New Hartley had to switch their home game to Bay Horse’s ground and they went down 3-0.

Scoring for Bay Horse was Chris Taylor, Mark Herron and Karl Boughen.