Ten-man Bedlington Terriers beat Sunderland RCA with two late goals

Bedlington Terriers’ momentum in the Ebac Northern League first division shows no signs of slowing.

They are in second place after securing a 2-0 win against Sunderland RCA at Welfare Park on Saturday.

Whilst the scoreline may suggest a routine three points for the home side, the game certainly was not a reflection of this as Sunderland RCA can feel slightly unfortunate to have left Bedlington without something to show for their efforts.

The first half was a mostly uneventful affair slightly shaded by the visitors with neither side producing any real quality.

Sunderland almost took the lead on 23 minutes as a great strike from the edge of the area by midfielder Andrew Brown crashed off the underside of the bar before being cleared by full back Adam Harvey.

Brown also went close with a free kick from the edge of the box on 35 minutes which just flew over the bar.

But aside from those chances there was little goalmouth action to speak of in the opening 45 minutes as both teams struggled to penetrate the opposing defence.

The second half was only a minute old when Bedlington went down to ten men; centre back Stephen Little did not get enough pace on the ball when trying to head back to his goalkeeper and after the opposition forward nipped in front of him he brought him down in the area, giving the referee no choice but to produce a red card.

The resulting spot kick, however, was well saved by Sean McCafferty as he dived correctly to his right to save Gavin Barton’s effort to keep Bedlington in the game.

Just after the hour mark the contest really came to life with both sides almost scoring within minutes of each other.

Terriers hit RCA on the break with Jordan Nellis cleverly nut-megging the last defender before finding himself one-on-one with goalkeeper Jonathan Carmichael, but his strike was well saved.

Moments later the away team hit the woodwork for the second time in the game with Gavin Barton’s long-range strike rattling the post with McCafferty well beaten.

On 77 minutes Bedlington went close twice with Carmichael denying substitute Stephen Young’s header at the far post before saving the rebound which fell to midfielder Sam Walton.

Just two minutes later Bedlington took the lead with a wonder goal. Jordan Nellis made a surging run down the left wing before slipping the ball inside to Young and he fired the ball into the top corner from 25 yards out.

Terriers doubled their advantage in time added on with another strike that was straight out of the top drawer.

Sam Walton picked the ball up on the right hand side and he found Jordan Nellis with a crossfield pass and he came inside his marker from the left wing before brilliantly lobbing the goalkeeper from the edge of the area to wrap up the victory.

Bedlington will be looking to maintain their good form as they host Jarrow Roofing on Wednesday, October 22, with a 7.30pm kick-off.

On Saturday it is a clash of the top two as Terriers travel to league leaders West Auckland Town.