Terriers beaten in final pre-season fixture

Two games in under 24 hours took its toll as Bedlington Terriers were beaten 2-1 by Chester-le-Street Town at Moor Park.

Michael Hepplewhite gave the hosts the lead after an hour from the penalty spot and their lead was doubled ten minutes before the end when Steven Wood volleyed home.

The Terriers responded almost straight away and pulled a goal back through Lance McGlen, but it was not enough as the Durham outfit ran out winners.

Andy Ferrell’s men had played Whickham just a day prior.

Despite there being nothing to show in the first 15 minutes, it was the visitors who settled quickly and had a few breaks, but the final ball was missing.

Half-an-hour went before the first critical save was made, Dan Staples was forced into a fine stop when Scott Heslop beat the offside trap.

Staples was treated for a knock but continued to play and the sides went in at the break level.

Two minutes into the second half Liam Hudson found Ferrell who headed just over.

Adam Harvey struck a shot from the edge of the box then Aiden Ames produced a fine save low down to parry behind for a corner.

Hudson and Marc Walton both had chances within quick succession but could not find the breakthrough.

Then against the run of play the hosts took the lead.

Stephen Little fouled Martin Thompson in the area and Hepplewhite fired home the penalty.

Mason Stephenson came on in place of Walton and some brave defending from Town denied Bedlington as they pushed for the equaliser.

Marc Dummett, who was a stand-out performer against Whickham, forced his way through the opposing defence only to fire over the bar.

Time was running out and despite the pressure from the visitors it was the hosts who doubled their advantage through Wood.

Bedlington appealed for offside as the striker continued and volleyed Jake Stafford’s cross home.

Ames produced another brilliant save six minutes before the end, this time it was from Little, then Lance McGlen shot home to give the visitors hope of getting another.

The game ended in defeat in the Terriers’ final pre-season game, they now have a week to recuperate ahead of the season opener against Dunston UTS at Welfare Park.

Terriers: Staples, L.McGlen, Little (Sommervile (T) 70), Gourley (T), Skidmore (Dummett 70), Pendlebury (Nellis 69), Ferrell, Harvey, McBride (Stephenson 61), Hudson, Walton (Hutchinson (T) 70).