Terriers finally get goals play deserved

editorial image

TWO late goals saw Bedlington Terriers run out 3-0 winners at second bottom Tow Law Town on Saturday.

After a Craig Hubbard opener early in the second half, goals from Glen Robson and an own goal in the last five minutes secured the three points.

Bedlington were without top scorer Tony Shandran, missing through illness, and Steve Bowey was on the bench, with Glen Robson making his first start since joining the club.

Stuart Elliott was also absent as he second the second match of a suspension.

From the kick-off the Terriers went on the attack, using the full width of the pitch, but a difficult surface and poor control meant the supply from the flanks was below par and no clear chances were being created despite dominating possession.

The first chance came on 15 minutes when a Steven Baptist corner found Steven Stewart and he set up Robson but his powerful shot was straight at goalkeeper Robinson.

Robson was booked after a free-kick struck his arm as he lined up in the defensive wall.

Tow Law striker and captain Matthew Scott evaded the Terriers defence but he was forced wide by Craig Pickering.

The Terriers keeper was then forced to dive full length to deny Nixon.

Chris Carr got on the end of a corner but could only direct it over the bar from six yards

A Baptist free kick 25 years out was brilliantly kept out by Robinson with a great one handed save.

The final chance of the half came on 44 minutes when Stephen Harrison found Hubbard in a great position, bursting into the penalty area but his right foot shot from 15 yards went a yard wide.

With positive words from Tony Lowery and Paddy Atkinson in their ears, the Terriers began the second half full of intent.

A nice passing move on 48 minutes involving Mark Convery, Stewart and Hubbard resulted in a good chance for Robson but yet again the finish was poor when he skewed his right foot shot wide.

A minute later brought an even better chance when a huge goal kick was picked up by Hubbard, who got the better of defender Thompson and fed Stewart who was bursting forward. He cut the ball back to Baptist and his pile driver looked destined for the net but unfortunately rose a foot over.

The deadlock was finally broken on 50 minutes by the all-action Hubbard.

Great work by Stewart and Robson to win possession saw the ball find Hubbard. He eluded two tackles and forced his way into the penalty area before unleashing an unstoppable left foot shot into the top left hand corner of the net.

Only the brilliance of Pickering in the Terriers goal denied Nixon an equaliser.

Bedlington were forced into making a change on 67 minutes when, in trying to clear the ball, James Novak kicked the bottom of Scott’s boot and suffered a nasty injury to his foot.

On 72 minutes another huge clearance by Pickering was flicked on by Robson to Baptist who found himself one-on-one with Robinson, but the keeper made a great save low down to his left.

Yet another chance came and went on 80 minutes when a great free kick from John Brackstone found Robson but his heavy touch in front of goal allowed the defence to clear.

Finally Bedlington got the vital second goal and a bit of breathing space on 85 minutes.

A Convery free kick from the left saw Robson get a crucial touch in front of keeper Robinson to find the net.

The scoring was completed on 90 minutes when a right wing cross from Harrison was turned into his own net by Banks.

Chris Carr was outstanding once again for Bedlington but the man of the match award went to Hubbard for his high octane non-stop performance in midfield.

Bedlington were due to entertain North Shields in the quarter-final of the Brookes Mileson League Cup on Wednesday, kick-off 7.30pm.