Terriers misery continues with third defeat in a row

Bedlington keeper Sean McCafferty at full stretch but helples to deny Pete Watling a hat-trick. Picture by Ian Appleby
Bedlington keeper Sean McCafferty at full stretch but helples to deny Pete Watling a hat-trick. Picture by Ian Appleby
Share this article

Bedlington Terriers suffered their third defeat in a row as they were beaten 4-1 by Whitley Bay in their FA Vase clash at Welfare Park on Saturday.

Going into the game off the back of a 7-2 defeat against West Auckland, manager Ian Skinner made four changes to the side.

In the first 10 minutes, the difference certainly showed and the game was evenly balanced with both teams trying to play attacking football and creating some half-chances.

A chance fell to Whitley Bay’s Peter Watling but his low header was well saved and parried onto the post by Bedlington’s keeper Sean McCafferty, who then recovered the ball and tried to find one of the front three.

On the stroke of the 25 minute Whitley Bay’s Robert Bird played the through ball past the back-four to Peter Watling who slotted the ball home to make the score 1-0. Just a minute after the goal went in, Whitley Bay went on the break and almost made it 2-0 but McCafferty kept his side in the game.

Bedlington’s only clear-cut chance fell to Jordan Nellis in the 45th minute but nothing came of it and the score was 1-0 going in at the break. The key points from that half were that Bedlington wasted possession too many times.

The second half began and it was like déjà vu. Just 90 seconds in and Whitley Bay were awarded a penalty for a foul on their striker. Paul Robinson sent Shaun McCafferty the wrong way and made it 2-0.

The Terriers went 3-0 down in the 51 minute. Robert Bird, with a 20-yard run down the right hand side, played the ball into the stride of Watling who buries his strike and gets his second goal of the game. The goal came because Bedlington pushed more men forward and were left wide open at the back when Whitley Bay went on the counter attack.

Skinner made a triple substitution to try and bring life back into his side, Walmsley, Davison and Morton making way for Young, Keenan and Greenwood.

“The team were a little bit flat so we made all three subs, it is cup football and the result matters so we went three at the back and pushed more men forward when attacking,” he said.

It looked like his side were fighting back and the perfect opportunity to get a goal back fell to Stephen Young. He was one-on-one with the keepe but lost his balance and the shot went inches wide. Bedlington looked on top for a good 20 minute period in the second half but again they looked vulnerable when Whitley Bay were counter attacking.

Bedlington pulled one back through Lee Scott, the striker chested the ball, hit the ball on the turn past the keeper into the roof of the net making the score line 3-1. This goal did look like it gave Bedlington the belief that they could get something from the game.

But again Whitley Bay broke on the counter attack with their front three, the ball was played across to Peter Watling and with the Bedlington keeper in no man’s land he lobbed the ball over and scored his third.

Whitley Bay won the game 4-1 and now go into the second round draw of the FA Vase.

After the match, manager Skinner said: “Disappointed, very disappointed and again in a national competition we have probably let ourselves down with our performance today.

“We need the players to stick together and the fans to stick with the team and get behind the team and we are working hard to get past this sticky patch.”

Bedlington: McCafferty, Walker, Walmsley (Young 59), Morton (Greenwood 59), K.Nellis, Dobson, Harvey, Davison (Keenan 59), Scott, J.Nellis, Blandford Subs- Dunn, Glasper, Keenan, Greenwood, Young

Whitley Bay: Gladstone, McFarlane, McDonald, Ellison, Ryan, Smith, Bird (Redford 90), Anderson (Brooking 24), Watling, Reed (Godsmark 68), Robinson Subs- Brooking, Godsmark, Redford, Day, Foster