Terriers once again beaten by the Moors

HAVING faced Spennymoor Town in the FA Vase, FA Cup and League Cup, Bedlington Terriers FC faced a trip to the Brewery Field to face the first of an stl Northern League double header against the league leaders.

Bedlington made changes to the team that emerged victorious in a fierce match against West Auckland Town, with Paul Newton returning in goal, Ben Christensen coming in for Colin Morton at right back, while the hamstring injury that forced Richard Flynn off against West kept him out, Peter Snowdon slotted into centre half.

The league’s leading scorer Alex Benjamin again had to settle for a place on the bench while the in-form Anthony Shandran was fielded as a lone striker.

The Terriers got off to the worst possible start in conceding after only three minutes.

A stray pass by Mark Convery allowed Calvin Smith fire an unstoppable shot from 30 yards into the top corner. A superb goal from the former Blyth Spartans player.

Looking for the equaliser, an attempted cross was blocked for a corner to the Terriers, the corner in by Richard Hodgson found Chris Carr at the back post who headed the ball down, only for it to be cleared by Ruddy on the post.

In a match dominated by defences, especially Spennymoor number five Laws, neither side were able to create any chances until two minutes before half-time when Paul Newton pulled off a fantastic save to denyJohnson.

Spennymoor made their first change of the match after 54 minutes with Emms replaced by former Hartlepool and Gateshead player Michael Rae.

Having started the second half brightly, Bedlington were looking for the equaliser.

They began passing the ball around more comfortably and using the slope to their advantage.

They were, however, hit by the sucker punch of a second goal.

After a run by Ruddy down the left, he squared to Johnson only for Snowdon to get a block in, but the ball rebounded back into the path of Johnson who finished into the bottom right corner.

Benjamin came on to replace Christensen with Chris Phillipson dropping back into right back.

Spennymoor then made their second change of the match with Capper coming off to be replaced by former Whitley Bay captain Leon Ryan.

Then Hubbard rounded the keeper and squared for substitute Rae to make it 3-0.

Shandran was replaced after 70 minutes with Andrew Dugdale coming on in his place while Spennymoor made their third and final change with Ruddy being replaced by Alex Francis.

The Terriers then made their third and final change with Colin Morton coming on to replace Phillipson.

With ten minutes left to play, Bedlington had their first shot on target when Benjamin played the ball out wide to Steven Stewart on the right, finding himself in some space his swerving cross was met by Francis at the far post, and his header fell to Hodgson who struck a powerful shot which was blocked by Ryan

A bad day was made worse ten minutes before time when Smith scored his second goal of the game.

The result means Spennymoor have now beaten Bedlington Terriers in all competitions they have met in so far this season, with the Moors yet to concede a goal.

The two sides were due to meet again last night (Wednesday) at Welfare Park for the penultimate home fixture of the season.