There’s life in old dog yet, promises new Ashington signing Dixon

Michael Dixon made his Ashington debut on Saturday against Shildon.'Shildon won 2-1.
Michael Dixon made his Ashington debut on Saturday against Shildon.'Shildon won 2-1.

Michael Dixon has promised Ashington football fans that he has plenty left to offer after making his debut in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat by league leaders Shildon.

The 32-year-old sales rep is following in the footsteps of his dad Paul, a player for the Colliers in the mid 1970s.

Newcastle-born Dixon left Dunston UTS last week to sign for Ashington.

“I had eight years at Dunston, and it was a bit of a wrench to leave, but things are about to happen here,” he said.

“The club have a good following, and the opening of the new stand is just around the corner.

“I just thought this was the right move for me.”

Dixon, an FA Vase winner with Dunston four years ago ago, just like his dad was with Blue Star in 1978, added: “Coming to Ashington is a bit of a new start for me. I’ve still got a lot to offer, and there’s life in the old dog yet.

“I’ve got to get myself fit, and there’s much more to come from me.

“I probably surprised myself getting through today against a team like Shildon, but it’s a good yardstick because I’m not as far away as I thought and certainly by the end of October, I should add more to my game.”

After playing 90 minutes in Ashington colours on Saturday, Dixon has promised the fans that there is more to come from him.

“After a bit of a hit-and-miss first half, I was pleased with my debut,” he said.

“This was my first start since the last match of last season, and I thought I grew a bit into the game, with a bit of adrenalin helping me along the way.

Dixon was involved in the build-up as Ashington reduced the arrears on Saturday, and he headed wide late on, but he did not find the net.

“My dad keeps reminding me of his first appearance for Ashington when he scored,” he said.

“The game ended in a remarkable 4-4 draw against Whitby at Portland Park after the home side had been 4-1 down.”

Refelecting on the defeat by Shildon, Dixon said: “Two set pieces cost us, and Shildon’s keeper, Kyle Hayes, made a great save from Matty Grieve when we were 1-0 down, but you can’t give teams with that experience a 2-0 start.

“Second half, I thought there was only one team in it.”