Town and Isabella advance in league cup

BLYTH Town and near neighbours Blyth Isabella both advanced in the North Alliance Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup at the weekend.

Blyth Town raced into a four-goal lead against Percy Main in the round two all-premier division affair, with Jason Richie, Patrick Allan (2), and David Atkinson doing the damage.

Although Ray Oshin pulled one back, Kyle Devlin completed the scoring after the break.

Neighbours Blyth Isabella will join them in the hat after Kris Allington’s double helped them to a comprehensive victory over High Howdon.

Dan Hislop and Matt Lavender got the other with Craig Black netting the consolation.

Josh Gillespie was Wallington’s two goal hero at Cullercoats. Chris Moffat got the other as they advanced, with Ian Lee and Steven Hart scoring against last season’s semi-finalists.

Wooler gave first division Willington Quay Saints a real game that wasn’t settled until extra time. Tristan Jeffries, Craig Henderson and Luke Strangeways fired in for the second division leaders, but goals from Mark Henderson (2), Colin Bell and a John Foggett extra time winner took Saints into round three.

Martin Soulsby (2), Liam Thomas and Paul Newton-Eddy drilled home for Red House Farm as they disposed of North Shields Athletic, who gave them a real game with Karl Morrison bagging a brace.

Forest Hall and Heddon celebrated pulling off giant killing acts – and Birtley Saint Josephs gave Hebburn Reyrolle a mighty scare.

Gateshead Rutherford went ahead against first division Forest Hall through Peter Williams but Andrew Mitchell equalised.

The visitors went on to net five more time after the break as the Swifts fell apart. Daniel McDonald (2), Michael Reay, Lieu Lomano and a Mark McMeekin own goal – claimed by keeper Tom Faid after his long clearance bounced in – piled on the misery. Sixteen year old Drew Pick grabbed the other for Ruthrford while Dale Robson’s header gave Heddon a win over Stocksfield.

Brian Allan gave Reyrolle a lead that lasted just two minutes over Birtley, who levelled through James Bowman.

The promotion-chasing second division side went ahead with a Anthony Smith penalty and there were just two minutes left on the clock when Simon Moslemi levelled. Reyrolle still had a chance to win it, but rattled the crossbar from close range before keeper Michael Hughes pulled off a couple of great stops in the penalty shoot-out to take the premier division strugglers through.

Killingworth midfielder Liam Cairns was rushed to hospital with a broken leg early on in Sporting’s excellent 3-2 win over Amble United.

His team-mates Connal Reed, Steven Robinson and Liam Callaghan netted as Killingworth dumped United out of a Cup for the third successive time. Ross Gair scored twice for the Seasiders, who were reduced to ten men late on.

Heaton Stannington went ahead after just two minutes when Joe Fulcher tucked away, but visitors Newcastle Chemfica Independent didn’t buckle and levelled through Lenny Lansbury.

In the second half the black and whites added three more with Gary Yates, Jonathon Wright and a Gary Dixon penalty taking them through.

In division one, Cramlington Town’s Dean Muckle grabbed a late leveller as they fought back from two down to claim a point off Ponteland United in a thrilling match.

Paul Ford’s two minute first half double put United in charge, but Town fought back with James Armstrong and Muckle hitting the net.

Stephen Spoors, Craig Williams and Graeme King were on target for Gateshead Redheugh as they took three points at the Uni, with Henry Scutt and Adam Ball replying while Bedlington Terriers Reserves struck three times against Morpeth Town A to go back to the top of the table. Chris Neale, Scott Westaway and Callum Donahue were the hot-shots.

In division two, Nicky Hara scored one of the quickest goals of the season – taking just eight seconds to net for Seaton Burn against Newcastle Benfield Reserves.

It just got better for the hosts as Jack Greenwell, Craig Jackson and Andrew Bennett added further goals before the break. Chris Thompson pulled one back late on for Benfield.

New Fordley’s Scott Bamborough and Louis Boddy scored in a narrow derby win over Cramlington United and it fished all-square at Alston as a Greg Irwin goal was cancelled out by Longbenton’s David Short.

Stuart Rook fired in for Swalwell against Grainger Park, who scored through Tony Leach, and a David Gabbittus double helped Wideopen to success against Alnwick Town Reserves. Andrew Shaw hit the opener and Jordan Trotter claimed a late consolation.

Wallsend Town’s Paul Harding and James Garwood were their marksmen as the advanced in the Northumberland FA Senior Benevolent Bowl at the expense of Shankhouse.