Town hit six to move off the bottom

Share this article

THERE was drama at both ends of the Northern Alliance premier league on Saturday.

Cramlington Town got themselves off the foot of the table with a 6-1 demolition of Stocksfield while leaders Alnwick Town scored three in the final ten minutes to salvage an unlikely point at Killingworth Sporting.

Stocksfield were looking to move further clear of the relegation zone and got off to a good start as Steve Foster shot them ahead in the 20th minute.

But Cristen Priest fired in the equaliser from 20 yards and Chris Bond took advantage of a goalmouth scramble to net number two from close range.

Dan Nearey turned and hit a low shot into the corner for the third before Bond was again on target for the fourth.

Town were in dreamland when Kieran Parsons followed up his own parried shot to make it five and Kevin Long cut in from the right wing and placed the ball in the far corner to complete the devastation.

Alnwick Town were left shell-shocked as goals from Paul Dunn and Jorge Vollabio put Killingworth 2-0 up within four minutes of the kick-off.

Although Ben Keenan pulled one back in the 15th minute with a penalty, a deflected shot from Dunn and a Jay McAnespie goal in the 76th minute put them 4-1 down and their unbeaten record looked as though it was about to be smashed.

However, late goals from Chris Moffat, Gary Bailes and Scott McMullan completed the comeback.

But Ponteland United are now just two points behind Town in second spot as they recorded a 4-0 win at Shankhouse with Andrew Davidson, Gavin Wood an own-goal and Sean Willis the scorers. Shankhouse had a player dismissed at 2-0.

Blyth Town blooded two youngsters who have made the move up from their junior set-up and they impressed in the 2-0 success over Percy Main Amateurs.

Jack Donnison was superb throughout and his old youth team colleague Kyle Devlin looked promising as he came on from the bench as goals from Chris Lyle (55) and Dan Beresford (80) settled it.

Steve Addison’s fifth minute strike for Seaton Delaval Amateurs was enough to win at Murton.

Ashington Colliers sent Wark crashing out the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup with a stunning 7-4 victory.

Gareth Bainbridge netted a hat-trick for the Colliers with Simon Cunningham (2) Paul Dunn and Joe Moscrop also on target.

Wark’s replies coming from Tony Lancaster (3) and Thomas McAlindon.

In division one, goals from Chris Moffat, Ben Haddick and Paul Thompson kept Heddon in third spot as they won 3-1 at Newcastle East End. Derek Lowson was on target for East End.

Berwick United Ultras are up to fifth after a 3-1 victory over Cullercoats.

Stuart Wright, Kieran Lafferty and Martin Cornish hit the net for the Borderers with Craig Deighton on the scoresheet for the visitors while Newcastle University’s George Coyle scored the only goal of the game as they took the three points from a closely-contested game at Wallington.

Forest Hall were sent crashing out of the Pin Point Recruitment Charity Cup after extra time by second division Simonside SC.

Alan Kelly scored for Forest Hall and Shaun Edwards netted for Simonside as the game ended 1-1 after 90 minutes. Craig Lumley and Ben Cooper scored the extra-time goals that put Simonside into the third round.

Gosforth Bohemian went through as they beat division two’s Swalwell 4-0. Ian Harris scored a hat-trick and Pete Gasden added the other.

Wallsend Town’s Gary Hall netted a double as they beat Tynemouth United 3-2 to stay on top of division two.

Hall and Sean Reid scored to put Town in control, but Steve Matthew fired in two penalties to level things up for United, who were reduced to ten men. Hall grabbed a last minute winner.

Goals from Steve McLaughlin and Gareth Davies gave Newcastle Chemfica Independent a 2-0 win at Northbank while Wallsend Boys Club were beaten 3-2 at home to Red House Farm.

Goals from Shaun Forster, Robert Nolan and Martin Soulsby put Red House 3-0 up at the break, and although Boys Club hit back with a Gaz Shaw double, it just was not enough.

Matty Guthrie’s 65th minute strike saw Whitley Bay Town beat Cramlington United and bottom side Wideopen & District went down 2-1 at home to Cullercoats Custom Planet. Mark Grant scored for Wideopen, but replies from Mark Wilkinson and G Hall saw them slump to their tenth defeat of the season.

Stuart Taylor, Sean Barker and Ian Armstrong scored for Seaton Burn in a 3-1 win at Willington Quay Saints with Gareth Pugh on target for the consolation.


Saturday, March 5 (2.30pm unless stated)

Premier Division: Alnwick Town v Carlisle City; Ashington Colliers v Killingworth Sporting; Blyth Town v Cramlington Town; Gateshead Rutherford v Seaton Delaval Ams; Harraby CC v Shankhouse; Murton v Ponteland Utd; Percy Main Ams v Stocksfield.

Division One: Amble Utd v Berwick United Ultras; Cullercoats v South Shields Utd; Morpeth Sports v Wallington; Newcastle University v Peterlee Town; North Shields Athletic v Hebburn Reyrolle; Stobswood Welfare v Heddon.

Division Two: Cullercoats CP v Tynemouth United; Hexham v Whitley Bay Town; Red House Farm v Wideopen; Simonside SC v Willington Quay Saints; Swalwell v Newcastle Chemfica Ind; Wallsend Boys Club v Cramlington Utd; Wallsend Town v Seaton Burn.

NFA Senior Benevolent Bowl Round Two (1.30pm): Heaton Stannington v Walker Central.