Town twice lose lead to end day with a draw

Cramlington Town and Willington Quay Saints (blue) met in the Northern Alliance Division 1. Picture by Steve Miller.
Cramlington Town and Willington Quay Saints (blue) met in the Northern Alliance Division 1. Picture by Steve Miller.

BLYTH Town were held to a 3-3 by Killingworth Sporting on the opening day of the Northern Alliance campaign.

Town led twice in the premier division game only for Killingworth’s Michael Bowman to score from a defensive scramble.

Joe Race, Damon Mullen and Graeme Heath all netted for Town while Connall Reed and Callum Benson got the others for Sporting.

Seaton Delaval’s Sam Robinson and Ian Mills both recorded debut goals for the Red Devils in a 4-2 success over Ashington Colliers.

David Thompson added the other two with Glen Bolton on target twice for the Colliers.

Dan Greenslade nodded Carlisle City ahead against Shankhouse in the 46th minute then two goals in a minute from Mark Graham and a Craig Cherry header made the points safe.

Amble United marked their arrival in the premier division in some style.

They displayed their six appeal with a devastating opening day demolition of Gateshead Rutherford.

Josh Hay and Sean Taylor shared 26 league goals between each other last season and the strikers kept on the goal trail with two each while new signing Matty Graham also grabbed a double on his debut.

In divison one, Craig Westaway fired Bedlington Terriers Reserves ahead at Gateshead Redheugh – but the Tynesiders stormed back with a five-goal blitz.

John Dewhurst struck twice and Kevin Hay, Chris Hepple and Chris Gill added the others as they rocketed straight to the top of the table.

Red House Farm rocked rPonteland United as Lee Brady (2), a Martin Soulsby penalty and Mark Hallis strike gave them a 4-0 success.

Cramlington Town’s Michael Haley hit the only goal of the game in the 38th minute to give them the points against Willington Quay Saints.

Mark Worral and Cameron Wilson were the Northbank targetmen in a 2-1 win over Wallington, whose reply was an unlucky Gavin Lowes own goal.

In division two, Cramlington United’s Ian Dorgan fired them into a 30th minute lead against North Shields Athletic, who levelled deep into first half injury time with an Anthony Heath penalty.

United had a chance to take all three points but missed a 70th minute penalty.