Two goals in injury time as Ashington and Consett draw

Ashington's Craig Scott, left. watches as his powerful header is cleared off the line by a Consett defender. Picture by Ian Appleby
Ashington's Craig Scott, left. watches as his powerful header is cleared off the line by a Consett defender. Picture by Ian Appleby
Share this article

There was high drama at Woodhorn Lane on Saturday as the game’s only two goals both came within a minute of each other in stoppage time.

Matthew Slocombe’s 92nd minute drive had put the Steelmen in front, but following a deep cross from the left touchline by Glen Taylor, Andrew Cuthbertson put through his own goal to leave the Colliers the happier of the two sides.

Ashington, who went down to a 3-2 defeat against Consett at the end of December, began the brighter outfit and in the tenth minute a right footer from fully 25 yards by skipper Andrew Johnson was not far off target.

Aristote Guerin-Lokonga had Consett’s first chance with his shot being taken low down by home keeper Karl Dryden.

But in a half of few opportunities it was the Colliers who looked the more likely side to nudge in front.

Only the framework of the goal prevented the opener on the half hour from Johnson.

Receiving a pass from James Novak, Johnson’s effort beat keeper Christopher Elliott but rebounded to safety after crashing against the bar.

In the 37th minute, a throw-in on the right by Lance McGlen found Glen Taylor whose shot was deflected for a corner on the left. Johnson swung the ball into the danger zone where Craig Scott’s header was cleared off the line by defender David Brown.

Then on the stroke of the interval, a free kick by Scott Blandford found its way to Sam Norris who was foiled by Elliott.

Early in the second period Ashington lost lynchpin defender Craig Scott who was taken to hospital with a head injury.

Lee Scott slotted in at right back with McGlen switching to the heart of the defence.

Shortly after play restarted, a swift one-two between Johnson and Glen Taylor almost unlocked the door with Elliott making a vital interception.

A cross from the right by Michael Pearson found Michael Mackay who headed well wide but chances were few and far between until the 85th minute.

A spill by Dryden saw sub Luke Sullivan look on as his effort was hacked off the line by James Taylor.

The game was heading towards a stalemate when a Consett free kick was played out to the right and from the cross Slocombe swept the ball home right footed past Dryden.

But 55 seconds later, a superb centre from the left touchline by Glen Taylor saw sub Marc Walton get a touch onto the ball before Cuthbertson turned it into his own net.

Ashington: Dryden, McGlen, Blandford, Oliver, C Scott (L Scott 49), J Taylor, Norris (Walton 77), Johnson, Carson, G Taylor, Novak (Brittain 85). Subs not used: Downey, Barnard.

Attendance: 212.

On Saturday Ashington are at home to Guisborough then face Blyth Spartans on Tuesday in the semi-final of the Techflow Group Northumberland Senior Cup (7.30pm kick-off).

In midweek, a 30-yard wonder strike in the 89th minute by Walton gave Ashington a 2-1 win at Hebburn.

The home side, who belied their second from bottom placing in the first division of the Ebac Northern League, had taken an early lead through Channon North before Glen Taylor restored parity on the half hour, heading home his 29th goal of the campaign.